1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 9 test?

Discussion in 'English' started by clairey27, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Hi I was just wondering what other schools were doing with their year 9s at the end of the year in the way of assessment? I had understood it that the government had left it up to schools in the way of their testing of pupils. However a colleague of mine informed me that this is not quite that case and that the government have said they want all to be examined at the end of year 9 in a somewhat official capactiy. I was wondering if this was correct and if so what kind of test for the end of year 9 is anyone else doing? We are doing some sort of SATS style exam.

Thanks

Clairey

2. Hi I was just wondering what other schools were doing with their year 9s at the end of the year in the way of assessment? I had understood it that the government had left it up to schools in the way of their testing of pupils. However a colleague of mine informed me that this is not quite that case and that the government have said they want all to be examined at the end of year 9 in a somewhat official capactiy. I was wondering if this was correct and if so what kind of test for the end of year 9 is anyone else doing? We are doing some sort of SATS style exam.

Thanks

Clairey

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

As far as I know, we still have to report TA levels at the end of y9, but we're using teacher judgement rather than an end of year test. Last year we all did a an unseen reading test and a piece of writing prior to setting but we took everything else they'd done into account.

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Last year we based it on TA as each student completes an assessment at the end of each half term. Students also sat a functional skills test last year just out of curiosity really. No idea what we're doing this year, just TA I think.

5. Hi, that's interesting,that's what I thought. I am not sure why we are even doing it a term early? I don't know wht things have to be so complicated.
    Have a good week back.
    Thanks
    Clairey

6. Hi apparently the government have not officially announced that they want all schools to go back to doing an end of year 9 exam, but they will be doing so at some point, so we are getting in early.

Claire