1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 9 sow for spreadsheets

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Silent85, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

Does anyone have a good tried and tested year 9 spreadsheet sow/unit?

I can see ones for year 8 but they are year 9's closer to year 10 level.

2. cj3

cj3

I used to do the theatre ticketiing system with my year 9 - but ramped it up a bit - they always liked it and you can do as much with the spreadshet bit as you like. ~There is also a spreadsheet unit published by Classmates books - which is good - alternatively - use a project from a GCSE textbook - we always liked the mobile phone tariff calculator in the Payne Gallway GCSE ICT book (I think).

3. In the dim and distant past when I was a teacher we used to tie in the Control Unit - the Log flume - with a spreadsheet based on a whole Theme Park such as LightWater Valley. Actually we used to do fair bit on most aspects of the NC based around a theme park.
    There's a wide choice of spreadsheet/modelling activities kids can do based on ticketing/pricing/discounts/total and projected income - plus the kids can do a lot of on line research about prices/visitor numbers as well as being motivated by the topic. Lots of opportunities for "What-if" scenarios , conditional formatting, lookup tables - well I could go on but clever kids can really develop here and less able kids can still cope with the basics.

BTW - I never really used a textbook for these activities as I always thought it restricted the kid's imagination and ambition. (Just my personal view)
    http://www.lightwatervalley.co.uk/ticketsprices.php