1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 Passover- Help!

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by teachingisacalling, Oct 13, 2011.

1. I've got a year 9 lesson on passover. Not sure what exactly to do with them. They're a rather tricky group to deal with and it's going to be my first lesson teaching them. Just wondered if anyone had some good ideas. It would be a massive help. Thankyou

2. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

You could start by talking about the different plagues. To do this I use the images from the Brick Testament as the kids love them!

3. I agree that there is mileage in talking about the plagues, eg discussion of modern plagues in society (global warming, pollution etc etc) as Jewish people sometimes do for their Third Seder. However, I don't think you can do that without a proper understanding of the main theme of Passover - Freedom.

4. pete14

pete14 New commenter

If you could let us know what your Lesson Objectives are, maybe we will be able to give more specific advice.

5. I re-enact the Seder meal with year 8s too -it goes down well with most groups and really helps them to remember the details from the Passover story and the significance of the things tasted/done.

6. We do the passover in two lessons in year 7. One about the history and we do a little dance to remember the 10 plagues- my current year 10s still remember it! And other about how it is celebrated today.