1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 novels

Discussion in 'English' started by Joannanna, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Hi everyone

We're currently looking at reviewing our year 9 programme of study in light of the new GCSE. We've started off year 10 with Of Mice and Men speaking and listening, controlled assessment and then an exam in January, so it takes off at quite a pace! We want to prepare year 9 by beginning to move in that direction. At present, we do some poetry work and some short story work, with our key novels being Stone Cold and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, as well as a Shakespeare unit.

We think TBITSP is still a good one as there is lots you can do with it, but whilst Stone Cold is an easy read, it doesn't really have a lot you can do with it in terms of language analysis etc. So I was wondering what novels anyone else did at this stage.

Our students are roughly set at this stage, but abilities are incredibly wide, from low level 4s at one end to level 7s at the other. Obviously we may need to change what texts we do according to groups but a rough idea would be fab.

2. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Hi everyone

We're currently looking at reviewing our year 9 programme of study in light of the new GCSE. We've started off year 10 with Of Mice and Men speaking and listening, controlled assessment and then an exam in January, so it takes off at quite a pace! We want to prepare year 9 by beginning to move in that direction. At present, we do some poetry work and some short story work, with our key novels being Stone Cold and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, as well as a Shakespeare unit.

We think TBITSP is still a good one as there is lots you can do with it, but whilst Stone Cold is an easy read, it doesn't really have a lot you can do with it in terms of language analysis etc. So I was wondering what novels anyone else did at this stage.

Our students are roughly set at this stage, but abilities are incredibly wide, from low level 4s at one end to level 7s at the other. Obviously we may need to change what texts we do according to groups but a rough idea would be fab.

3. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

4. We are reading Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry with year 9...they seem to be enjoying it

5. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

We've done The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time for a couple of years now - always goes down really well.

6. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

Noughts and Crosses engages Year 9. It has lots of links to author's intention, socio-historical context etc. It's a popular novel for students anway, but I've found that even students that have read it of their own accord totally enjoy studying it in detail.
    Hunger Games is one that I've not had a chance to teach, but I think it is a novel that offers loads of scope for GCSE preparation. I've recommended it to students and have had really positive feedback about text structure, context etc (albeit in student talk!)

7. I did Unarranged marriage by Bali Rai this year and down very well. There's loads that can be done with it
    :)

8. Unarranged marriage by bali rai is a great read and there is a lot of work that can be done with it. It went down very well this year with my mid set who did a controlled assessment task on it :)

9. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I'd like to do this but HoD says we'd get too many complaints from parents about swearing in it.

10. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Hmmm I take your point, I tried some of that this year. There's a nice section where Link describes a night being homeless which we looked at.

What I know our current year 9s would like (my form are year 9 so I hear a lot about what they like - or more accurately what they don't like!) is something cheerful!

11. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Thanks for your ideas everyone. I've read unarranged marriage, I'll see what HoD has to say as we have zero money in the budget for new texts other than GCSE ones next year :(

12. Does it have to be a novel? We studied war poetry last term and Gallipoli, directed by Peter Weir and have had some great writing analysing the closing scenes. Lots of appreciative comments from parents too.
    I agree with Stone Cold being a great text to study language too.

13. anteater

anteater New commenter

"Animal Farm" went down well with my Y9. They loved writing their own speeches, in the style of Old Major, persuading fellow pupils to rebel and take over the school!

14. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

We've done war poetry for GCSE every year until this one, and still doing a comparison of Wilfred Owen for controlled assessment in year 11. Plus war poetry in year 12 - we're war-poetried out!

Film could be interesting though :)

15. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

Animal Farm would be perfect but we're doing that for exam in year 10 :(

16. rosieeo

rosieeo New commenter

What about A Kestrel For A Knave now it's off the GCSE spec? Did it with a set two this year and they loved it.

17. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

We may have that in the cupboard - I'll have to have a thorough check next half term.

18. gsv

gsv

I am using this novel with a low ability group for the first time. Would appreciate any resources/ideas for an extended piece of work.

19. montyjacs

montyjacs New commenter

I'm using Lord of the Flies - it's on the new gcse spec but not the route we're taking so would just sit gathering dust in the cupboard. It's going down really well so far - there's a year 9 sow on tes resources.

20. Buddy by Nigel Hinton still goes down well especially with the 1986 Scene video starring Roger Daltrey.
    David Copperfield or Silas Marner are good for language and plot and characterisation for top sets.