1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by gilberd, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I know I'm not the first to have this problem but I'm having real problems teaching year 9 music. I know it's been said over and over again but they are getting nothing from what we are doing, they rarely listen and show no interest in doing any work. Of course, I have encountered this in other schools but never had it this bad.
    Wondered if anyone had any ideas of SOWs that work with year 9? We are currently doing Dance Music which I thought they would enjoy but they are totally switched off. I know they give up shortly after options but they already have so need some ideas to a) keep my sanity but b) keep them interested.

Any ideas, please help!!!!!!

2. I know I'm not the first to have this problem but I'm having real problems teaching year 9 music. I know it's been said over and over again but they are getting nothing from what we are doing, they rarely listen and show no interest in doing any work. Of course, I have encountered this in other schools but never had it this bad.
    Wondered if anyone had any ideas of SOWs that work with year 9? We are currently doing Dance Music which I thought they would enjoy but they are totally switched off. I know they give up shortly after options but they already have so need some ideas to a) keep my sanity but b) keep them interested.

Any ideas, please help!!!!!!

3. It's an age old problem. Part of my solution is to give in and do lots of projects that they percieve as fun and light hearted and slip the learning in without them even realising. Two of my best projects are "writing a Christmas Carol" (chord sequences, melodies derived from chord notes, instrumentation that sounds "Christmassy" (so meeting the level 6/7 criteria) and, believe it or not, Indian Music.
    They also like film music and I approach this in lots of different ways, including whole class improvisations to a visual track but directed by individuals who "direct" the orchestra. They produce a written plan using musical language (or other simpler terms) on a blank grid (one line for each different setcion of action). And they write things like "Fast and rhymic on the shakers with long notes on the metalophones" and then they have five minutes rehearsal and the class all do it, we record it and play it back over the track - it's brilliant!!!!!!! I've never laughed so much.!!!
    We use some film exerpts with no dialogue and the soudd track turned down.
    Then they go to the computers and make a sound track in pairs to a new clip.
    Writing songs for advertising also goes down well.
    But, though all of this I slowly loose about half a doxen students who go off in total apathy and some otheres become quite hard to chivvy along. It IS hard work and I'm often glad to see the back of them to be honest.

4. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

We have a great solution in my school. They opt for thier GCSE subjects in year 8 whcih means in year 9 I have a small class of enthusiastic musicians and I can do about anything I fancy for a year before the GCSE course proper starts.

Sorry not much help for you but it is the best thing we've done!

5. We are doing rap and hip hop this half term. we started off by watching Bruce Hornsby 'The way it is' and discussed what it was about. most of the kids recognised the riff as being used in 'changes' by 2 pac. we then listened to 2pac's changes. looked at similarities in what the lyrics were about, which led us to talk about stereo types of rap etc. They then had a go at playing the riff on the keyboards.
    Next week we are listening to professor green 'read all about it' and they will have a go at playing and singing the chorus from it.
    We are leading up to them composing a rap that uses a chorus.
    Other interesting/relevant things to view on youtube for this topic are Mr B the gentleman rhymer 'chap-hop history' and sugar hill gang 'rappers delight'.
    we have difficult yr 9s who are already doing the whole' i aint doing music next year so why should i bother' thing! but the majority of them seem to at least attempt something in this unit.

6. casper

casper New commenter

Year 9, I do Blues , Rock and Roll, Reggae, then I do Film music and last term Ihelp them to learn to play something that they like listening to. This is musical futures style. Last year LadyGaga,Owl City, Mumford adn sons. A lot is by ear using chord sequences and finding the melodies riffs etc.... Seems to work. Last year I did Gamelan at the end of term . Whole class teaching in one;large ensemble playing the different parts in time. Tough, but it worked. As I now have very big classes and no practice rooms, I do not think that will work this year.

7. I havent heard many responses about practical music making. This is central to music education. Do they play instruments? If not, do you have a keyboard lab? Or some Ocarinas? How much singing do they do? Surely learning about Reggae and other people's music (in a listening context) is not as fulfilling as making music.

8. Pinoir

Pinoir New commenter

Griffin63 - I think you'll find that most of what I mention in my post is about practical music making based around the musical features of Reggae.

9. i the t

i the t New commenter

I do the arts award bronze with y9 using a musical futures
    style programme of splitting the class into bands and them rehearsing
    song of their choice with final performance. There's 3 other units as well;
    Attending an gig, researching their arts heroine and
    supervising an arts workshop.

It's a level 1 qual n'all!

10. Thanks for all the suggestions!!
    It has really helped me and I am going to do a project based on the studio suggestion.
    We are running GCSE Performing Arts as an alternative to GCSE Music (alongside it I might add!)
    My plan is to give them a brief (like in GCSE Performing Arts) and they have to practice the final performance (live band, sequencing, Djing whatever) but they have to do all the background work like booking the venue, advertising & PR.
    I'm hoping this works. I will put up any resources should people wish to use them.
    Thanks again everyone
    Alan