1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 Media Studies - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by ThereAreBunniesInMyHead, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

We had Year 9 media on our curriculum for a while. We had very popular and successful GCSE and A-level programmes for media already running and our statistics were very beneficial to the schools overall statistics. This convinced them to let us run Year 9 media. The students got a media lesson once every two weeks and it was basically run as an intro to media course, developing practical Photoshop skills so that when they joined us in Year 10 for the course we didnt have to start from scratch. It meant that when they did move on to Y10, their work was much stronger AND the students in Y9 taking the course had a much better idea of what was involved in the course so could make a better choice when it came to options.. It stopped us getting a lot of the student applying in year 10 who thought we would just be watching films all day etc.. Downside was that it meant we had to teach about 8 classes of Year 9 students, for just 1 hour every two weeks. Its very hard to get to know the students in this short time etc..

This year we changed it so that Year 9''s could opt to do it as an early entry subject and so we no longer have any "intro to media courses running" and instead we have 2 GCSE Year 9 classes. pros - we see them twice a week so its much better in terms of getting to know the students etc.. Cons - we see them twice a week so if you do have a class of numpties who thought it would be a doss, its harder on the teachers. Plus, in year 9, many of them are just not ready for GCSE level work.

2. That's great, thank you.
    Do you have anything that I could submit to my Headteacher as evidence that it can be beneficial in year 9? Data? Results? Statements? I'd appreciate anything.