1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 KS3 Test - 2007 4-6 Paper 1 v paper 2

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by MathsMA, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Just a quick message/request. Just wondering if anyone has any data (or a pointer to results) with regards the marks achieved for Paper 1 vs Paper 2 of the 2007 Year 9 4-6 paper.
    We're using Paper 1 only as a quick assessment and wondered if it is sensible to double this score for a quick assessment??
    I can't seem to track down my school's actual results for 2007 (or when it was used as a mock in 2008) to see if scores were discernibly higher on either paper.
    (I only ask as my class did less well than I personally expected on paper 1, so am hoping that on average Paper 2 was more "accessible"!!!!!).
    Any help would be great, if not I'll get them to do Paper 2 as well!!!!!

2. Hi all,
    Just a quick message/request. Just wondering if anyone has any data (or a pointer to results) with regards the marks achieved for Paper 1 vs Paper 2 of the 2007 Year 9 4-6 paper.
    We're using Paper 1 only as a quick assessment and wondered if it is sensible to double this score for a quick assessment??
    I can't seem to track down my school's actual results for 2007 (or when it was used as a mock in 2008) to see if scores were discernibly higher on either paper.
    (I only ask as my class did less well than I personally expected on paper 1, so am hoping that on average Paper 2 was more "accessible"!!!!!).
    Any help would be great, if not I'll get them to do Paper 2 as well!!!!!

3. DM

DM New commenter

4. DM

DM New commenter

If you look down for levelling template that might help too.

5. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I can send you the data if you want
    Using Excel to draw a scatter graph it shows for x=paper 1 and y=paper 2
    tier 6-8: y=0.704x+7.5 with a correlation of 0.68
    tier 5-7: y=0.590x+13.4 with a correlation of 0.61
    tier 4-6: y=0.670x+13.4 with a correlation of 0.64
    each of these have population size of around 65
    tier 3-5: y=0.738x+10.8 with a correlation of 0.75
    but this was only on a population of 25
    so if they only did paper 1 at 4-6, you would need to roughly take 2/3 of the value and then add 13 to get a estimate for paper 2.

6. Thanks for the link, but being honest I didn't have a clue how to use that levelling document!!!!!!!
    Cheers anyway.

7. I love the mathematics in play here!!!!!!
    Thanks for the info.
    My kids scored between 19 to 29 on Paper 1 which using your analysis would suggest a higher score should be achieved for Paper 2. I'll go with that!!!!!!!

CHEERS

8. That's all very well for a score between 19 and 29 as that would give you 6.33 and 9.66 as one third, so double that would be 12.66 and 19.66 to be added to 13 which would make 26 (rounded up) and 33, so giving higher schores for Paper 2.
    But what about the child who has alread scored 53 on paper 1? Two thirds of 53 is about 36. Add the 13 and you only get 49. So, does a child who has done well on paper 1 expect to do worse on Paper 2?
    I have a child in year 5 with 53 out of 60 for Paper 1.

9. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

in fact, yes! looking at the students' individual data they tended to get 3 or 4 marks less if they had a score of 48/60 or more on paper 1. so the line of best fit is actually quite realistic. I'm the KING of the DATA!