1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 Immunity (for interview) help please!

Discussion in 'Science' started by sep2, May 13, 2011.

1. sep2

sep2 New commenter

I often use glitter glue (green if possible [​IMG]) to show how germs can be spread. The glitter represents a virus and one child sneezes (gets a blob of glitter glue on their hand) and then they shake hands with other children and the virus spreads and it is visual as they will have glitter on their hands. Make sure the children agree to shaking hands as I once had an ASD child who went mad when someone put a bit of glitter on them.
    This could then lead onto what happens if the virus enters the body (they could model phagocytosis with one person being the germ and a few holding hands in a circle and being the WBC who engulf the germ(s).) Then you could look at how some people could be prevented from getting the virus by being vaccinated.
    They don't need to know much detail compared to AS/A2. There does seem to be quite a lot to cover in one lesson. You haven't said how long your lesson is for and what the ability is of your class.
    Don't know if I've explained myself clearly but HTH's