1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 9 humourous topic

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by moony81, Mar 20, 2013.

1. hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding the year 9 curriculum. Pupils have stated that they never do anything funny in year 9 and I admit that i have steered away from comedy as some girls have become daunted when looking at melodrama or pantomime and boys tend to go down the whole its okay to playfight as we are being funny! also i've built in more stylised work ready for GCSE. at the minute i teach Macbeth, Anne Frank/the holocaust, bentley/craig miscarraige of justice and then we finish with a TIE project aimed at the year 6 transition to high school. I'm wondering whether there are some good scripts that people use with year 9 that hits the 'humourous' theme that would engage year 9 - we already look at our day out in year 8

thanks for your help

2. hi all, I'm looking for some advice regarding the year 9 curriculum. Pupils have stated that they never do anything funny in year 9 and I admit that i have steered away from comedy as some girls have become daunted when looking at melodrama or pantomime and boys tend to go down the whole its okay to playfight as we are being funny! also i've built in more stylised work ready for GCSE. at the minute i teach Macbeth, Anne Frank/the holocaust, bentley/craig miscarraige of justice and then we finish with a TIE project aimed at the year 6 transition to high school. I'm wondering whether there are some good scripts that people use with year 9 that hits the 'humourous' theme that would engage year 9 - we already look at our day out in year 8

thanks for your help

3. Look at the script Living With lady macbeth to tie in with your macbeth unit. Plenty of opportunities for comedy in there, including boys pretending to be girls, and some opportunities for more stylised performance.

4. Ten Short Scripts and Ten Slightly Longer Scripts go down well with Year 9.
    They are here. and you will save yourself a fortune as they are photocopiable. If you want a longer script, there many available - all written for students by Drama teachers.
    There are also entire schemes (such as one on Physical Theatre with large elements of humour) especially written for Year 9 at this "awkward" time of year.