1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 German - few weeks left - what to do?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by sommersprossen, Jun 28, 2011.

1. I've got a mixed class; half are carrying on next year and still keen, and the rest bored and naughty. Normally with naughty kids I just stick to the text book, because any group activity like running dication gets them too excited and they don't do it properly anyway. I'd like some sort of project that the keen ones can get on with when they've finished their work. Has anyone tried this with success? Thanks in advance.

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

We quite often run with a themed project at this time, e.g. World Cup, Olympics etc. But the timing is off this year for pupils to be interested in these topics. If you can book an IT room or have access to lap tops, an alternative might be to learn how to use new ICT presentation software or other software e.g. to produce a Prezi to summarise units of work they have completed to post on school vle or embed in a blog. Alternatively, make a voki (animated recording), or create a storybird book for primary language learners on a given theme. Why not get the students to make a resource for younger classes or to research a GCSE topic for those who are continuing with GCSE? Another idea is to offer pupils choices: a) to investigate GCSE topics through my languages website, b) to begin a new language (Russian, German, Spanish or French) using my website.
    www.suttonhighmfl.110mb,com

3. Brilliant ideas! Thanks so much. Off to find out what a Prezi is now ...

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Have fun - it's a zooming presentation tool, visually more impressive than powerpoint - a mind map presentation rather than linear pages. See www.prezi.com - the basic level is free. See lots of examples and tutorials on their website.

5. German Magazine - can cover puzzles, horoscopes, celebrity profiles, sports, weather, houses for sale - basically a pulling togther of everything done in KS3