1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 English

Discussion in 'English' started by clc39, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. clc39

clc39 New commenter

Hello,

What do people do with year 9 for English and do you report using gcse grades? Year 9 are now treated pretty much like ks4 and what I find is either the students get demotivated because they see they have a gcse target (inflated-which means their end of year target grades also inflated) but their current grades, as you would expect aren't that high because they're still developing the skills. What I've also seen happen is some teachers give the benefit of a doubt when marking and being on the generous side. This causes problems when someone new takes on the class in year 10 and someone marks more realistically and the students think they're doing worse.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

My school last year did that - students had NC levels in Y8, they were maybe up to level 5a (which were very inflated for some!), then when I met them at the start of Y9 we started using GCSE grades, and many were on level 2 because they refused to mention context and such in their answers (as you say, they needed to develop the skills). They were so demotivated, and all decided they hated me. Fun fun. But come one, some idiot had given them such high levels, yet a couple would not use capital letters and full stops in their work!

At my current school we're still using levels, but only for Y9. Next year Y9 will be on the 'flight paths' they use for Y7 and 8 (something like above target, on target, under target). I don't like the flight paths, the wording is not nice (I've neutralised it in this message, but the under target wording is horrible, along the lines of 'inadequate').

At my 2nd PGCE placement they used flight paths based on projected GCSE grades, i.e. if you did the GCSE today you'd get a 2, but if you stay on track you'll end up with a 5. I didn't like that either because it was confusing!

Sorry, I'm no help at all.

3. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

Very true what with juggling old NC levels, converting old KS4 grades to the new numerical system and age related targets grades for year 7. Oh and not forgetting new A Level specifications and mark schemes.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

We use GCSE grades throughout KS3 and 4 and set end of year English Language assessments from AQA

5. Tangalle

Tangalle New commenter

We need to move to this system from September. Do you have any further info about how you match GCSE grades on to year 7, for example?