1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 Btec?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Timar, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hi folks,

My HOD has come up with a plan for the department moving forwards with all the changes being made to league tables and qualifications etc.

The proposal is that year 9 will be taught the new Btec Principles of Applied Science Award (counting for 1 GCSE)

The following year when in Year 10 they will be taught Core GCSE.

The Year 10s that pass will do Additional GCSE in year 11,

The Year 10's that fail will do the second part of the new Btec Application of Science Award (counting for 1 GCSE)
    The issues that I forsee are that the Btec courses have a Guided Learning Hours of 120, and the year 9s only recieve 115 hours of Science, so the pace will have to be very fast with very little allowances for error.
    I am not sure of others experience with this, but I have found BTec is usually taught in smaller class sizes circa 20 pupils, where as the year 9 classes will be classes of up to 32, which seems like an awful lot of teacher marking and work for Btec.
    The final issue is that we have not collapsed the KS3 curriculum, so the first set of year 9s through will not have been taught all the KS3 curriculum. I know it is common for pupils to start GCSE in year 9, but surely to do that then the Year 7,8,9 content is squeezed into Year 7 and 8? This will not have happened so the first year through this process will be missing out all the year 9 topics.

Anyone care to share their opinions on the matter?

2. Hi folks,

My HOD has come up with a plan for the department moving forwards with all the changes being made to league tables and qualifications etc.

The proposal is that year 9 will be taught the new Btec Principles of Applied Science Award (counting for 1 GCSE)

The following year when in Year 10 they will be taught Core GCSE.

The Year 10s that pass will do Additional GCSE in year 11,

The Year 10's that fail will do the second part of the new Btec Application of Science Award (counting for 1 GCSE)
    The issues that I forsee are that the Btec courses have a Guided Learning Hours of 120, and the year 9s only recieve 115 hours of Science, so the pace will have to be very fast with very little allowances for error.
    I am not sure of others experience with this, but I have found BTec is usually taught in smaller class sizes circa 20 pupils, where as the year 9 classes will be classes of up to 32, which seems like an awful lot of teacher marking and work for Btec.
    The final issue is that we have not collapsed the KS3 curriculum, so the first set of year 9s through will not have been taught all the KS3 curriculum. I know it is common for pupils to start GCSE in year 9, but surely to do that then the Year 7,8,9 content is squeezed into Year 7 and 8? This will not have happened so the first year through this process will be missing out all the year 9 topics.

Anyone care to share their opinions on the matter?