1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 - behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by judge-j, Mar 6, 2016.

1. judge-j

judge-j New commenter

Hello,

I'm an NQT English teacher looking for a bit of behaviour advice. I've got a year 9 boy who is very attention seeking. I've tried a number of behaviour strategies: ensuring he has a lot of support during the lesson with resources - writing frames etc because I know English isn't his strongest subject; I've tried praise, making the lessons engaging using drama, building relations with him before and after lessons - even in detention. He is perfectly fine on a one to one basis but in front of the class he turns in a really stroppy, bratty child. I've also tried calling home and speaking to the head of year. He is put on a conduct card for a while but it doesn't seem to help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any advice gratefully received.

2. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Try posting on a different forum.

What about New Teachers, Secondary, or Behaviour. Or all three :)

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Ditto cissy3, but if all else fails to get a response go to "personal". Although it is not meant for things like this, it has by far the most traffic in the forum. Be prepared for some rude replies but something useful may come up.
    Good luck with your problem.

4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

how many times have you rung his parents? You should be talking to them regularly, both when he is bad and when he is good, I usually find that a call on a Friday just before the weekend is a very powerful tool if the parents are at all supportive! But do make sure that you follow it up if he tries to improve.