1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 behaviour and motivation any ideas?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by YellowOchre, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hi there. Sorry to make my first post a bit glum, but i have struggled with 2 groups since year 8, now they are in year 9 and much worse. Getting them to listen to the teacher is quite often impossible. I have tried and am trying a range of different ideas from songs and ICT to use of video and trying to bend the topics we have to teach to fit their range of experiences. Unfortunately I quite often have a number of them on detention or temporarily removed for the fact that they will often simply not be quiet and not allow the teaching to occur. The most success I have had so far has involved video clips of UK tv series from which I have developed language teaching, in this case German, which is in the scheme of work and which I am expected to teach according to the textbook more or less. Writing this is actually making me feel a bit better about what I have achieved with them, but does anyone else have similar experience of "impossible' groups?

2. Hi there. Sorry to make my first post a bit glum, but i have struggled with 2 groups since year 8, now they are in year 9 and much worse. Getting them to listen to the teacher is quite often impossible. I have tried and am trying a range of different ideas from songs and ICT to use of video and trying to bend the topics we have to teach to fit their range of experiences. Unfortunately I quite often have a number of them on detention or temporarily removed for the fact that they will often simply not be quiet and not allow the teaching to occur. The most success I have had so far has involved video clips of UK tv series from which I have developed language teaching, in this case German, which is in the scheme of work and which I am expected to teach according to the textbook more or less. Writing this is actually making me feel a bit better about what I have achieved with them, but does anyone else have similar experience of "impossible' groups?

3. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Take heart, I'm sure everyone has experience of groups like these. Sounds like you are doing a lot right. Pupils will never respect a weak teacher, so keep doing what you are doing - remaining firm on the line that must not be crossed yet at the same time doing your best to share your enthusiasm for language learning by looking for ways to engage the pupils.

4. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

5. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I've not seen this before - it looks really useful, thanks Geekie.
    Have you tried this?

6. thanks for the idea - I will have a look at this

7. this rings very true, thanks for your support...indeed I shall continue with this and get back to the forum with any extra stores of success perhaps after the break

8. Geekie

Geekie Occasional commenter

I would really like to, but can't because of the antiquated computers at school :eek:( A number of the MFL Twitterati are using it with great success. I'll see if I can get them to post about it for you.

9. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I teach German, too, and have some difficult groups who I've tried to keep on board with a mixture of sanctions and good lessons. Are you using Echo? And are your groups using Echo 3 or Echo Express 2? What topic are you on? My year 9 aren't too bad, it's my year 8 that I'm struggling with and I'm just starting that 'Going out' chapter on Echo 2. But creative lessons with my Echo 3 group don't hurt either. I'm just starting that odd chapter that's got blind date, soap operas, talking about how you get on with your family - an odd mishmash, but basically all about people. So I was thinking of getting them to design their own soap opera, and then incorporating all the different activities into that grand project. But that might be far too ambitious. Plus we've got end of year exams coming up, I think. So I'm undecided.
    My year 9 are dropping the subject at the end of May because the school starts the GCSE timetable at the beginning of June. So the end's in sight. Does your school do that? Do you need any recommendations for films they can watch at the end of the year?
    I've just discovered 'German Extra' on youtube, which my classes like. It's a soap opera for language learners and each episode is shorter than 10 minutes, so I'm planning to show these as a reward for good behaviour at the end of each week. I haven't worked out the chronological order of the episodes yet.

10. Hi there, yes we use Echo 3 too and are just about to start chapter 5 after Easter, an odd mish-mash as you put it. I think the idea about the soap opera is brilliant, I think you could really run with that.
    As for the end being in sight, these are the worst year 9 groups we have ever had, and languages are now compulsory in our school at GCSE..that will prove quite a challenge I feel!
    German Extra sounds great and I will definitely be giving that a go.
    Kind regards.

11. musiclover1

So, your difficult year 9s are going to turn into difficult year 10's? Or are they going to be in different sets? Don't some of them choose Frenco or Spanish? Do you have Echo 3 Rot or Gruen?Hope you don't mind the nosy questions.

12. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

ClassDojo is really good. I've been using it since October and even managed to get some of my colleagues to use it. The children really like it, too. It really motivates them.

13. musiclover1

Can you explain a bit more about classdojo, please? If you have that up on your Smartboard, does that mean that you can't use the Smartboard? And what happens to the people who get negative or positive points? does it carry over from lesson to lesson? Knowing my guys, they'd probably start a competition: who can get the most negative points? Is that not a danger?

14. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

It's an online thing so you can shrink its window when using another program. You can also use your smartphone to add points to students during the lesson. There is an android app and a fruit-based app Any positive points you give are added to the students avatar, any negative points will cancel out positive points. You can carry over points to the next lesson or indefinitely until you end the session yourself - I give a prize for the person at the end of each half term with the most points. There is a feature which allows you to email "report cards" based on the points achieved, and why they were awarded, to parents.