1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 9 APP Writing Task

Discussion in 'English' started by maryshelley, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Hi, am new(ish) to the English system and wondered if anyone could help.
    In the Eyewitness Account of a volcanic eruption, if it is not paragraphed at all, can you still award a Level 3 if all the other criteria are met? I realise this will apply to all written work.
    Thanks.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

You can award a level 4.
    The phrase is 'paragraphs or sections'

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Depends how you're marking but I would say that Level 3 work is often not paragraphed at all. For Level 4, I would expect a sense of paragraphing, even if the indentation/missed line was forgotten. At Level 5, I think it should be paragraphed and logically structured. I don't think it's until Level 5, there's a sense of linked paragraphs. But all in all, it's only one aspect of writing, and you could have a good Level 5 piece without a single paragraph because it fulfils other criteria. I certainly wouldn't say a Level 3 piece of writing could be only Level 2 because of poor paragraphing.

4. Thank you so much. That's cleared things up for me, so am off to finish the dreaded marking!