1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 8 Scheme of Work

Discussion in 'History' started by Eclipse01, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hi, any ideas or suggestions for the following would be greatly appreciated.

I've been asked to look at updating the Year 8 curriculum for my department. Following on from Year 7 (medieval political and social history from 1066-1550) we cover the following topics:

* Elizabeth I
    * Spanish Armada
    * the Gunpowder Plot
    * Minority communities and the poor
    * Lives of married women
    * Causes of the Civil War
    * Interregnum
    * Restoration
    * Scientific revolution
    * European exploration (which leads into slavery and the Industrial Revolution at the start of Year 9)

As a department, we're looking for individual topics and lessons which can engage our pupils, but also for an overall theme to give to the year, perhaps a central enquiry question that can be referred back to. At our last department meeting, we agreed that, compared to Year 7 and 9, it's hard to say what Year 8 is really about.

So, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on particular topics that your classes have enjoyed, and also examples of how you structure Year 8.

Thanks.

2. Hi, any ideas or suggestions for the following would be greatly appreciated.

I've been asked to look at updating the Year 8 curriculum for my department. Following on from Year 7 (medieval political and social history from 1066-1550) we cover the following topics:

* Elizabeth I
    * Spanish Armada
    * the Gunpowder Plot
    * Minority communities and the poor
    * Lives of married women
    * Causes of the Civil War
    * Interregnum
    * Restoration
    * Scientific revolution
    * European exploration (which leads into slavery and the Industrial Revolution at the start of Year 9)

As a department, we're looking for individual topics and lessons which can engage our pupils, but also for an overall theme to give to the year, perhaps a central enquiry question that can be referred back to. At our last department meeting, we agreed that, compared to Year 7 and 9, it's hard to say what Year 8 is really about.

So, I'd be grateful for your thoughts on particular topics that your classes have enjoyed, and also examples of how you structure Year 8.

Thanks.

3. Hi, we recently revamped our whole KS3 curriculum and aimed for 2 or 3 themes across the year - perhaps one per term.

For example, we our first theme in year 8 is Power and Control and we look at William I, Henry VIII, Elizabeth I and Cromwell - comparing how each ruled England etc. Part of this is a Battle of the Sexes unit which compares Henry and Elizabeth - gets very heated in class over who is better - boys or girls!!!

Looking at your topics above you could do something similar, perhaps alongside a theme of something like 'Britain in the World' which could incorporate scientific revolution and European exploration. Not sure about the other topics - but hopefully that might help a little!!