1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 8 nightmare class...advice please!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by squirlywhirly, Apr 25, 2011.

1. I should add, there is one male pupil who has recently re-joined my group. He had been suspended for the past 4/5 months for attacking the deputy head teacher and has issues with behaviour, concentration and problems at home. I suspect he also has ADHD but there is no formal diagnosis.

His return has just added to my problems with this group, as he has quickly fallen in with the main troublesome boys described above...

2. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

<font size="2" face="Verdana" color="#000000">This is tough, but not
    unusual. Depending on how long you've had them, sanctions can seem to be not
    working, but in fact, they are. They just take time. If the pupils know that
    they will never get away with breaking the rules without incurring a sanction,
    then eventually...eventually they will understand that the consequences of
    ignoring you are worse than the consequences of attending to you. </font>
    <font face="verdana"></font>
    <font face="verdana">Also, an important part of using detentions
    effectively is that they need to meaningful. If your detentions are too short,
    or the participants are allowed to chat, play on phones, have a nap, catch up
    with reading or homework, etc, then they're not punitive at all, and the
    attenders won't see them as a meaningful deterrent. For detentions to actually
    deter, they need to uncomfortable: make them sit in absolute silence for half an
    hour, facing front; make them copy something out; good old lines; anything that
    is unpleasant but still allowed by the Geneva Convention on Child Rights. If
    detentions are fun, then don't bother doing them.</font>
    <font face="verdana">Another detention error that commonly occurs is
    when teachers feel kind-hearted to the kids because the disruption they caused
    was (relatively) long ago, and the sting of the crime is forgotten. This is a
    mistake. Don't let them go aftyer five minutes because they were 'good
    afterwards' or because you've had a chance to have a nice chat. And don't turn
    detention into a 'how do you feel' session. By all means finish the detention
    with a few minutes of 'I want you to succeed but your actions are leading you to
    fail'- there's nothing wrong with establishing better relationships- but if
    that's all that you do, then the pupils learn that you're nice, but not
    authoritative. If you set rules, set sanctions for their
    transgression.</font>
    <font face="verdana">I agree with the advice above, incidentally.
    Plan for misbehaviour, can the group work for a while, and show them that you're
    going to focus on behaviour first and foremost, and until you get it, they can
    forget about trips to the zoo and human pyramids. You can crack this class-
    almost any class can be turned around- but it's going to take time, and you're
    going to have to believe in yourself.</font>
    <font face="verdana">Good luck</font><font face="Verdana"></font><font face="Verdana">www.behaviourguru.blogspot.com</font><font face="Verdana"></font>