1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 8 issues/ ideas

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by romughal, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hi I'm new to this but here goes.

I'm managing Year 8 for the first time and am finding it difficult to get a few boys to settle down and want to learn. I've heard about the year 8 dip, but am experiencing it first hand.

Would appreciate any ideas, things to try and help them get out of this.

2. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I have a year 8 group with very similar issues.

I tried to go in really strict and I feel it made the situation worse. I felt that 'we will do more interesting stuff when you show me you can behave'... but of course they didn't behave because they saw no point to what I was asking them to do. The majority of the class is OK, but about 1/3 of it are boys who do not want to be there and make that known loudly.

I am picking them off one by one, contacting home, putting them on report for my department, and catching them being good and making a big fuss of that when it happens. I have also cut right down the amount of writing that I'm expecting them to do, focussing on spoken work (this is MFL), and that has helped a little.

I had one really good lesson and I think one of the keys to the success then was setting up some very overt competition which included everyone. These boys are all keen sportsmen and competing against each other (cunningly differentiated! I don't think they noticed!) helped enormously.

All the while I am following the school's behaviour policy and hoping that they still understand the inevitability of sanctions of they behave badly. But trying to show them I am not a total dragon - giving them tasters of what could be, if they were prepared to 'come with me' properly.

I have asked SLT and HoD to come in and talk to the class but unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Does that make any sense? It's been a really horrible ride with this lot and I'm only NQT+1, so I'm kinda feeling my way a bit.

HTC