1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

year 8 English lesson starters

Discussion in 'English' started by slwhitehead22, Jun 4, 2012.

1. I have a GTP interview coming up and am hopelessly looking for advice. I have to deliver an 8 minute lesson starter that addresses the how to start teaching a new topic in the curriculum. I admit I am a complete rookie...i dont even know what the topics for yr 8 are, and since its half term, my school are not there to ask for advice...so please if you can help point me in the right direction..
    For example creative writing counts on the assessment for english nc...is this a topic that i could start by reading a poem about the sea, handing out pics of various seascapes and ask groups to give 5 different words to describe that scene and share with the whole class... then do a synonym research task and build literary analysis on top of that (or at least say I will in my proposed lesson plan) .
    does this fit in with your knowledge of the nc for KS3 or should i try something else?
    cheers

2. I have a GTP interview coming up and am hopelessly looking for advice. I have to deliver an 8 minute lesson starter that addresses the how to start teaching a new topic in the curriculum. I admit I am a complete rookie...i dont even know what the topics for yr 8 are, and since its half term, my school are not there to ask for advice...so please if you can help point me in the right direction..
    For example creative writing counts on the assessment for english nc...is this a topic that i could start by reading a poem about the sea, handing out pics of various seascapes and ask groups to give 5 different words to describe that scene and share with the whole class... then do a synonym research task and build literary analysis on top of that (or at least say I will in my proposed lesson plan) .
    does this fit in with your knowledge of the nc for KS3 or should i try something else?
    cheers

3. I think all schools study a Shakespeare play at KS3 so why not do an introductory lesson about the Globe Theatre or theatre going in Tudor Times - some gory facts always go down well with my Y8 class. We also study a novel (Holes, Millions are popular), media, war literature and pre 20th century poems - does that help?

4. I always start by asking the students to tell me what they know about the topic. They can write it down on a recipe card or a sticky note. Then we classify their ideas to see if they are even close...Next I ask them what they would like to know aboutthe topic. These two questions give me a clear starting point.