1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7s with moderate learning difficulties

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Fleurie, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Apologies if this post appears twice. I have a group of Year 7s with a profile of level 3 and below. Am in a bit of a quandry as to what to opt for next term - we have been doing spreadsheets and they have huge problems with knowing what calculation to do - add or multiply for example. I could do data handling using a spreadsheet or I could try to teach them Scratch. The problem is that some of the children might get somewhat fixated on some of the sounds in Scratch and it can be completely disruptive. Any advice, observations will be hugely appreciated. The group also suffer with literacy problems so worksheets which they follow step by step is probably a no-no.

2. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

In all honesty if they are below Level 3, then you are really struggling to give them somethnig KS3 based. My two suggestions would be;
    1. Find some Yr 5 / 6 SoW from the net and try and re-build their skills using these, don't even consider KS3 work until they've got the basics.
    2. You could go into e-safety. The Thinkuknow web site had a section for 8-10, 10+11, 11+ so you could differentiate according.
    Not much help I know, but it should get you thinking. Good luck, because it sounds like you need it.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

One program we have found to be very succesful with al our students and could easily be used by lower ability kids is dance ejay 5. If you get a techno track like "Access" by DJ Misjah and Tim (readily found on youtube) you can explain how blocks of music are build up every 16th beat when you add a new layer of sound and then every now and then take a layer away, it's quite amazing how some kids will formulate something quite credible really quickly. you even have the ability to drop in recordings of the kids singing into the mix. They can then export their work as a wav and slap it on thier phones/mp3 players (many of my kids do this). You can pick up a copy for about a fiver off ebay, but of course you will need to buy as many copies as you need for machines that you intend to use, experience has taught me that it's cheaper to buy lots of individaul copies rather than trying to track down a site licence. It's all drag and drop and a piece of cake to get going with, I will be putting some tutorials into the resource bank for it shortly.

4. Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of exploring Dance ejay and will look out for your tutorials David. It's next on the list after I have developed some lessons to teach Dream Weaver. I've used the old version of this software, but need to get up to speed with Adobe CS5. If you know of any good online tutorials, would love to know, thanks.