1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Vocab lesson

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by flick161, Apr 4, 2018.

1. flick161

flick161 New commenter

I am due to teach part of a class in a few weeks on food and plan on teaching the class some food-related vocab.
    How many items do you think it's reasonable to try to teach in one lesson?
    I started with 10 but am second-guessing myself that it's information overload. Any feedback would be appreciated on this...

2. parkert

parkert New commenter

I hate teaching the topic of food as the list is never-ending. I tend to intro the top 10 that are in the book and teach them the language to go with it (e.g.: I would like / I ate / the vs some vs a etc). I then give them a vocab list to stick in with lots of other food items on for them to refer to if they want to mention other foods (especially when talking about what they like to et etc)

3. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Miller's Law suggests that the number of objects an average human can hold in working memory is 7 ± 2.
    So nine for the most able and 5 for the least able is a general rule of thumb.

flick161 likes this.
  4. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

You could use a ton of cognates, too, I suppose...

5. flick161

flick161 New commenter

This sounds exactly along the lines of what I was planning, so nice to hear someone else on the same wavelength, thank you!

parkert likes this.
  6. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

A list with lots of items on? Is this for teaching French? Is the pronunciation of all these other items taught? Not meaning to be funny here but these are year 7s...what could possibly go wrong?

bonxie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. parkert

parkert New commenter

They learn the ones covered in the unit as required. The list is for info and a good way for them to independently practise the phonics work we do. Of course we do the necessary key work for them to be able to pronounce the words!