1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Target Audience Lesson (Observed)

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nicola21685, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've recently gone back to school from maternity leave and my year 7's are struggling with the concept of designing for target audience, so I am planning to do a one off lesson to really get them to understand how to design for a target audience (current topic is powerpoints on new technology). Does anyone have any really interesting ideas that I could use, as this is going to be for an observed lesson?
    Many Thanks in advance

2. Don't focus on age - that's all the kids seem to understand about target audience. Think about other things...
    Personal Details: Sex, Family Status/Position, Disability (including colour blindness)

Life: Money, Job, Education

Style: Likes, IT Skills, Language, Knowledge

Situation: Where, When, Duration (how long they'll be using it for), Technology

I like to talk about the use of colours and how different cultures think about them in different ways (ie. Red in China).

3. You could make making person descriptions, which have information about target audiences, and then they take on the "role" of that person - switch person descriptions during the lessons so that they get a feel for different people