1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 TA to Primary 1:1 TA

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alexmc484, Jul 9, 2012.

1. I have recently been offered (and accepted) a job in a Primary school as a 1:1 TA for a year 3 autistic boy. Having worked with Year 7s for the past 5 months, I am looking forward to moving into the Primary sector, where I hope to teach one day.
    My main query is if anybody else has made a similar move from Secondary to Primary and what were their experiences? I'm really looking forward to the challenge but not sure about the dynamics of working in a Primary school.
    Thanks

2. I have recently been offered (and accepted) a job in a Primary school as a 1:1 TA for a year 3 autistic boy. Having worked with Year 7s for the past 5 months, I am looking forward to moving into the Primary sector, where I hope to teach one day.
    My main query is if anybody else has made a similar move from Secondary to Primary and what were their experiences? I'm really looking forward to the challenge but not sure about the dynamics of working in a Primary school.
    Thanks

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

br prepared for a much nicer day all round.
    Dishwashers in teh staff room so nice clean cups!
    pupils saying hello when they see you, some hugs will probably come your way too!
    No swearing, no adults being reduced to screaming point (or tears in the staff room)
    beware of accepting food type presents, there is a lot of nose picking in primary!
    Have change with you, pupils will run a lot of little fundraisers
    at the start of year three there will be some tears and tantrums as some find the move from 2-3 difficult.
    have fun!

4. Thanks very much hammie, you make it sound lovely, so I'm looking forward to it even more now!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr we have a dishwasher, but no-one feels the need to fill it let alone turn it on, so we don't have clean cups very often.
    Maybe not in all primaries, but definitely happens in my current one!
    Nooo they don't. I've never unexpectedly needed any change in about 7 years of primary teaching.

BUT I moved (as a teacher) from secondary to primary and it is definitely a much nicer place to be. Younger children are very open and honest, but innocent in their honesty.

One of our TAs joined us from a secondary TA background last October. She really struggled in year 2 and hated it, but was moved to year 5 and 6 and loves it there.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

depends on the school i guess, on supply in various primaries i do see a lot of differences, but the bit about clean cups i definitely stand by. I usually turn down coffees in secondary departments because the cups are usually cleaned with a grey smelly dishcloth!
    and i certainly agree that moving from sec to primary is generally a much nicer experience

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely. I did supply for a few years and no two schools are remotely similar.

8. Thanks minnieminx for your input. I agree that all schools are different, so I realise it's difficult to give such a general statement about what my experiences might be when I move from Secondary to Primary. Having not really enjoyed the attitude of the Year 7s I think I will be better suited to Primary.