1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Scheme of Work- Introduction to English

Discussion in 'English' started by tafkam, Aug 8, 2010.

1. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Are you expecting English to be a novelty to them, then?

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

The majority of Yr 7s I've taught in lots of schools expect to have a subject called 'Literacy'

3. In Year 7 we look at the origins of English - the need for language - and where it came from. It's good fun! In years 8 and 9 we move on to accents, dialect, formal and informal. I can send you our Medium Term Plan if you like, but you'd have to understand that it's quite rough and ready and is on my list to review this summer! Email me at anna dot danebury dot net if you're interested.

4. Good point. The topic was suggested in a department meeting and I have been asked to write the scheme. We wanted something to engage the new Y7 pupils, but this topic could do the opposite. It is so obvious that they have been taught English for years that we appear to have overlooked it!
    What does everyone else start Y7 with, then?

5. klaproos- Thanks for the offer. Will drop you an email now.

6. I know I risk sounding like a hippy student, but I will say that the terms "English" and "Language" are not easy to define or identify. "Literature" is especially problematic, particularly insofar as it implies that some language use is literature, and therefore 'good', and other language use is not literature, and therefore 'bad'.

These problems aside, I think there is great benefit in explaining to students what studying "English" means.

M

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Eh?

8. 'Literature', when used as a label to a piece of writing, implies that it is of value and worth studying. Authors of literature can often be recognised solely by their last names: Dickens, Austen, Shakespeare, Wordsworth etc. Some linguistics, who label themselves 'stylisticians', argue that many of the same linguistic devises exist in works that would not be considered at literature. The sociocultural approach, in particular, stresses the importance of ideology and social behaviour in determining what can be accepted as literary (Certain texts come to be valued, even revered, for historical and social reasons: the canon).

Ronald Carter, Janet Maybin and Joan Swann, Peter Verdonk, H. G. Widdowson often write on stylistics.

Apologies, I know this is not the direction the poster originally wanted this topic to go, but this is something I find interesting, and I wanted to explain my previous statements. i hope I have done so.

Thanks

M

thequillguy likes this.
  9. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

We teach an introductory unit that covers elements of non-fiction, fiction, plays, drama, media, poetry, pre- and post- 1914 and creative writing. It's called 'Different Lives' and runs from Sept to Christmas. Can send you a copy if it's the kind of thing that you might be able to get ideas from?

never_expect_anything likes this.
  10. Ooh, I would like a copy of that please. It would really help to inspire me as I teach english in a PRU and my first subject is actually R.E. I feel like i am constantly planning and making resources because even though our classes are small they are comprised of pupils from each year in KS3 and so it's difficult to pitch it right! Added to this our pupils come and go (they re on a 6 week placement) so it's realistic to expect that one pupil may leave the class on tuesday and two more may start the next day. If we were in the middle of a novel this would make life really difficult for all concerned! It's hard to get away from death by worksheet but with heavily differentiated lessons we can't do what we would really like to do. So, i would be hugely grateful for any ideas and yours sounds fab!
    Thanks in advance

11. about to start a post in a new school, and this sounds perfect - could i be cheeky and ask for a copy too?
    many thnaks in advance
    [​IMG]

12. that should be thanks - or snacks???

13. chocolateheaven

Hi guys - I can't email to anyone without email addresses to send it to!
    Either post here or email me on meltedchocolateheaven@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send it on
    x

14. I don't suppose I could have a copy too? My email is janus79057@hotmail.com

I've just finished my PGCE and have loads of material that's suitable for spring and summer terms, but I wasn't there at the start of Year 7 so I could use some inspiration!

15. Please could i have a copy? It sounds very useful.

jo2388@hotmail.com

Thank you so much!x

16. Can you please email me a copy of the year 7 plan please?
    Thanks

17. chocolateheaven

Hi!
    Only just seen these posts! If you still want a copy, email me at meltedchocolateheaven@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send it out.
    Choc
    x

18. mariabreslin

mariabreslin New commenter

Hi Anna
    I am a parent and a teacher. My daughter is focusing in September on Beowulf the origins of English Literature in her secondary school, just wanted to know if you could shed some light on this. Many thanks mariabreslin23@googlemail.com