1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 'Our Language, Our World' poetry unit

Discussion in 'English' started by burtonesque, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hey there. I am a PGCE student looking to create a year 7 (mixed ability) SOW based on 'other culture and conflict' poetry. As you can imagine this is hugely daunting and I feel as though I am going around in circles!! I have the poems but nothing else, it's a fright!! Can anybody help me please :)? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!! Olivia.

2. Hey there. I am a PGCE student looking to create a year 7 (mixed ability) SOW based on 'other culture and conflict' poetry. As you can imagine this is hugely daunting and I feel as though I am going around in circles!! I have the poems but nothing else, it's a fright!! Can anybody help me please :)? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!! Olivia.

3. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Startby deciding what skills you want them to demonstrate at the end of the SOW - look at the APP grids or level criteria and pick a few eg 'commenting on writers' uses of language', commenting on writers' viewpoints etc.

Then break each one up and work out what you want them to learn for each strand eg 'commenting on use of language' might require you to look at a range of linguistic features eg metaphor, simile, etc. Then decide which poems to use to teach which skills.

You will need to tailor the lessons to the spread of ability.Is it a real class? Look what needs to be done for different ability pupils to achieve target grades eg level 5 kids would need to explain the effect of a simile, band 4 might just identify one using a quotation and make a simple, relevant comment etc.

Look at y7 schemes of work on here and teachit for lesson ideas. That should at least give you a starting point. (And

Have fun!

4. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Oops. And pinch/ adapt where possible, although whilst that's good practice when you're qualified, perhaps it's not in the spirit of the task...