1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Optional SATS

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by barrowbeaver, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Hi - Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Year 7 optional SATS papers? Could do with stretching my Y6 set. Thanks

2. Hi - Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Year 7 optional SATS papers? Could do with stretching my Y6 set. Thanks

3. tl1000

tl1000 New commenter

Do you think that the teacher who teaches your class in year 7 will appreciate this? If you think they will be happy with this why not ask them for the papers.

4. Our feeder school does not use the optional SATS and the class already has covered Y6 objectives in Y5 so they need some KS3 input. Thanks

5. If you are going to stretch some children please dont sdo it by testing them. Get in contact with your feeder school and ask them for opportunities for developing the students understanding of number, shape and space and algebra in a wider context. Let the children enjoy their maths, keep doing what you do so well, use projects but use some KS3 input, but please dont test them more.

6. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

And why pretend the QCA's Optional Tests are "SATS" when they're nothing of the kind? Or has somebody conned you?

7. I feel for you, ask a simple question and get bombarded with advice! If you need the questions for extension work we have a copy you can have if you give me your address or email.

8. Thanks Sallbear. My e-mail address is barrowbeaver@hotmail.com. If you e-mail me then I can send you my address. I was really only after the content of the tests to ensure that I am pitching it at the right level (we are due an Ofsted this year so need to cover myself) bu seem to have opened a can of worms. I am getting hold of a KS3 framework too but DFES are notoriously slow at getting it to me so thought this would give me an idea of what to be including. Thanks

9. Get some quite long projects going - perhaps in conjunction with other local primary school. You could even do it in discussion with your local secondary so that it builds connections and conversations between the schools.

Perhaps your students could visit the other school to present their results to that class and vice versa.

One for starters:

Rebecca is going up a flight of stairs - she can go up 1 step at a time, 2 at a time or a mix. Investigate how many ways she can get up different flights of stairs.

If the stairs have 3 flights

(3 ways)

Eg. if the stair has 4 flights

(5 ways)

How many ways do you predict for 5 flights> Why? Check it? Did your rule work? Can you find a new rule?

Developing the investigational process is the learning objective (Ma1).

Hope this helps.

10. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

The new primary framework has extension objectives for Yr 6 that are from the Yr 7 curriculum - look at them first!

11. svl

svl

12. "Me too" alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heads down!

13. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

14. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter