1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 mini-project - one lesson?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by NewStrings, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hi,

My Year 7 group have been absolutely exceptional this term and finished their stuff more than a whole lesson early. I have a 1.5 hour session coming up that I want to use for some kind of mini-project. I don't mind whether it's group work or whether they all have a little something to take home. Their behaviour is outstanding so I can be optimistic with time estimates. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could do?

Thanks!

EDIT: It's an RM/Product Design workshop. I do the wood-based portion of the Y7 curriculum.

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Stained glass window? Give them stick on lead and paints. You could produce guides/templates for them to work with for a one off lesson. Look at my resources and there should be a a page or two on the Mini Projects resource x

3. littlemissraw

As a class they could make you a 3D seating plan.
    Some line bending acrylic laser cut chairs (I have a template)
    Some making tables using drill & dowel
    Some making the 'classroom'?
    x

4. A keyring project, with either wood or acrylic?
    "love" tokens, for valentines?
    A graphics project, like a pop-up card?
    Some kind of packaging, relating to the project you've just finished?
    Um.... I'll come back with more ideas later :)

5. Hi.
    Have a look at Bill's Space for hundreds of calligraphy / lettering / art / design etc., oriented links.
    http://billsspaceblog.com/
    Have fun.
    Cheers. Bill.

6. How about a small design project using Vormator. If you have an engaged group they could find it quite fun.
    http://www.vormator.com/

7. re

re New commenter

Post it note holder. Piece of wood 20mm lager than postit note. 5 pieces 10mm square section rod. Glue on & drill pencil hole in one corner where frame wood is doubled up. Decorate using laser cutter (if time)

8. littlemissraw

Its one 'reward' lesson. Obviously they will learn something and the OP will factor these in, but I don't believe it always has to come first, especially as they will have completed the prior objectives required for the course... x