1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 English old level 1 and 2 abilty intake curriculum

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Cinders15, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Cinders15

Cinders15 New commenter

What are your experiences/views on teaching and assessing pupils who came into school with level 1 and 2 for reading in year 7. Do you teach the same content and assess using the ks3 curriculum to all the year 7s eg the same poems, novels even if they cannot read them or do you use the ks1 and 2 curriculum and assessment targets and poems,texts etc which they can read and comprehend themselves ?

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

What is the point of delivering something you know in advance the students will be unable to access ?

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

If it's a whole class, then you'd plan lessons to that level say levels 1-3. It seems silly to pitch a lesson students can't access. So yes, I'd adapt my curriculum.

If it's just odd children, then I think it comes down to what's reasonable differentiation. If they're that far behind, I'd be expecting the school to provide support staff to help them access the curriculum in mainstream lessons. The phrase I've always been told is about 'reasonably adjustments' in differentiation. Planning an entire parallel lesson for a very small group of students (I'd say) would be such a drain on staff that it's no longer reasonable without support staff to help.
    I know that some people may shoot me down for saying this, but if it's planning an entire parallel lesson every lesson for a few children then it's basically planning and resourcing another class and you wouldn't be told my leaders that you should plan for an additional class on your timetable on the grounds of workload.

4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

For year sevens, as HoD, I sent up a reading lesson as called "reading week" for students who were taken out of class to develop their literacy skills and for them to incorporate this into their English classes every few weeks to see if they can make progress.

We start off the year by teaching the history of English Language. This doesn't involve too much reading. It's usually research and group and work to get the year 7 settled in to work as a team in their form and etc. Whilst this happens, the pupils who have low level reading/literacy are taken out and taught some skills by English teachers to improve their literacy by a SoW developed by our literacy coordinator.

We read Beowulf in the History of the EL unit. But we would read it in modern English anyway. We give the students who struggle with it a contemporary one which was also done by our literacy coordinator.

We try and make sure their skills in literacy and comprehension are succinct enough before he hit the "Big Novel" unit which is Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief in the Summer.

Cinders15 likes this.
  5. Cinders15

Cinders15 New commenter

Thanks for all your replies. We have now set up a different SOW when the pupils are taken out of the main class when a teacher is available. Usually 3 out of 4 lessons per week. This is based upon the same themes/genre when applicable to the main SOW. The assessments are also tailored to ensure all students make progress and lessons are based upon 'next steps' rather than trying to fit the students to the curriculum. Do you have copies of your SOW you would be willing to share ?
    Thanks again for your replies. It's good to get feed back and reassurance that you are on the right lines. Happy New Year to you all !

6. Cinders15

Cinders15 New commenter

My thoughts exactly ! Please see recent reply on this thread.