1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Baseline testing

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by brunettebarbie85, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Hi

i was wondering if anyone has any baseline testing tests for year 7 students that they use to assess students in September?

Each year we seem to be receiving more and more students who have studied a language at primary school and are actually a lot further along than their classmates and i would like to look into the possibility of accelerator groups.

We currently only teach French and Spanish however if there are any other useful resources that could be easily translated that would be really helpful!

thANKS

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I would avoid baselining if you can.

frenchteachernet.blogspot.co.uk/.../benchmarking-for-benchmarkingss-sake.html

I would also be very wary of setting/accelerating in Y7 as provision is so variable and knowledge not well embedded at primary. We used a simple questionnaire sheet in Y7 to ascertain what pupils had done. This picked out any pupils who might benefit from any extra special attention. You obviously have to value what has been done before, but recognise its limitations.

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I agree with Steve.

We started with a questionnaire about who had done languages before, and I also asked them to write anything they could write in the TL on the back of their questionnaire sheet.

One pupil wrote me a little paragraph (Hola, me llamo... vivo... me gusta... etc.) but to be quite honest, she hasn't progressed much beyond that this year - she's not actually that good at languages, she just knew some stuff. And more able pupils who have no experience of languages will soon catch up with those who have done a bit in Primary.

Also, the pupils who seem to be good at the start of Y7 (when it's more vocab/phrasebook based) sometimes turn out to be at the weaker end when it comes to actually understanding and manipulating language to form their own sentences.

We've found ourselves referring to them as "word kids" - the ones who are good at vocab but struggle to pull their learning together and produce stuff. They're the kind who will ultimately do OK in GCSE Foundation Reading and Listening papers because they know plenty of words, but struggle in the controlled assessments.