1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Baseline Testing in Art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by ailie_mills, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ailie_mills

ailie_mills New commenter

I've been asked to include baseline testing in Year 7 Art for the first time this year. Does anyone use baseline tests and have any tests that are effective in assessing students' starting points?

2. amimamim

amimamim New commenter

I've only ever done this after the first 6 weeks, so it's not really a baseline test as they have had a half term of teaching at secondary level. But I preferred this option to having students take a test which couldn't really assess all the skills and knowledge that I'd want to see included for an Art & Design subject specific baseline.

We put together a fairly tightly designed scheme of work as an intro to year 7 and used the assessment from this as the baseline which proved to be a much more accurate and useful set of data than the averages from KS2 which had previously formed our basis for measuring progress.

I'd be interested to know what you come up with...

3. LOC87

LOC87 New commenter

We use a drawing and evaluation baseline test. After the first 10 weeks theyy sit an observational drawing test we draw a rubber duck and they have to evaluate it using key vocabulary. They get a mark for drawing and a literacy mark. We then repeat this in May/June time to show progression. The same test is repeated in year 8, 9, 10, but with a change of object sometimes Lego.

4. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

First lesson with all year 7s I asked them to do that standard test of drawing a person, as detailed and complete as they can. It's as good as anything else. There's also a sort of marking/points scheme for it ... the Special Needs mob gets a look at the drawings, at their request, and they've found it very useful, too.

5. TheArtyTeacher

TheArtyTeacher New commenter

This year we asked students to complete a line and tone draw of a a real pepper. A hard task for new Yr7. It has proved to be an accurate test of their drawing ability. They have gone on to do better when drawing from a picture.

6. artcrisis

artcrisis New commenter

It isn't fair to "test" when you are assessing knowledge evaluating, geneating ideas and making. If it is purely on drawing ability then you will disengage some at a very early age. There is a good document in the members section of the NSEAD website.

amimamim likes this.
  7. Usually I ask students to draw their own shoe in their first lesson. Then I photocopy the drawings and in their second lesson I ask them to turn it into a 'super shoe'. They draw directly onto the photocopy and can add anything they like: springs; jets; guns; flowers; little arm grippers; etc. They can also add a background, making it look like the shoe is somewhere else: in space; desert island; jungle; etc. You can then assess both drawing/observational ability alongside their creativity and imagination. At the end of the day it's all subjective of course, but hey, that's the game we have to play. The students are incredibly proud when you ask them to look back at those drawings a few months later and they appreciate just how far they've progressed.

amimamim, emily_fitch and ViolaClef like this.
  8. emily_fitch

emily_fitch New commenter

We also go for the shoe drawing. They get really into it! Then we assess and award a mark, then ask the students to self assess their shoe drawing on what went well and areas for improvement (this is on a prompts sheet so that they know to assess e.g. shading, shape etc)