1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 Baseline Testing in Art

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by ailie_mills, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ailie_mills

ailie_mills New commenter

I've been asked to include baseline testing in Year 7 Art for the first time this year. Does anyone use baseline tests and have any tests that are effective in assessing students' starting points?

2. amimamim

amimamim New commenter

I've only ever done this after the first 6 weeks, so it's not really a baseline test as they have had a half term of teaching at secondary level. But I preferred this option to having students take a test which couldn't really assess all the skills and knowledge that I'd want to see included for an Art & Design subject specific baseline.

We put together a fairly tightly designed scheme of work as an intro to year 7 and used the assessment from this as the baseline which proved to be a much more accurate and useful set of data than the averages from KS2 which had previously formed our basis for measuring progress.

I'd be interested to know what you come up with...

3. LOC87

LOC87 New commenter

We use a drawing and evaluation baseline test. After the first 10 weeks theyy sit an observational drawing test we draw a rubber duck and they have to evaluate it using key vocabulary. They get a mark for drawing and a literacy mark. We then repeat this in May/June time to show progression. The same test is repeated in year 8, 9, 10, but with a change of object sometimes Lego.