1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Year 7 Assembly

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by mimibeatle, Jan 29, 2008.

1. I've been roped in to do the year 7 assembly this week (I'm a form tutor and English teacher). Bit pushed for time - any ideas? Was going to do something on storytelling/reading/literacy but open to suggestions!
  2. I've been roped in to do the year 7 assembly this week (I'm a form tutor and English teacher). Bit pushed for time - any ideas? Was going to do something on storytelling/reading/literacy but open to suggestions!
  3. I've been a head of years 7, 9, 10, and 11 at various points so if you send me your e-mail address I'll have a go at mailing you the transcripts of some assemblies I've done.

The best assembly I've ever done came from a book. It involves conning the kids into thinking you're eating cat-food to show them that appearances can be deceptive - link to dodgy e-mails, strangers, etc.

It takes a bit of prep, but it's worth it. You need an empty tin - like a baked bean tin, a cat-food tin, several Snickers bars and some orange jelly cubes.

First you empty the beans out oif the BOTTOM of the can.

Then, you steam the label off both tins, and put the cat-food label on the empty beans tin.

Next chop up the Snickers bars and put them in your beans tin with a cat label on. Then mix up the orange jelly and pour it over the chopped up Snickers. Leave your tin in the fridge over-night to set.

Start your assembly by telling the group about trying new things. To that end, explain that you are going to try something new. Make an elaborate show of producing the tin, tin-opener and a spoon. Your tin needs to be on a plate so nothing falls out of the bottom. Open the tin and put a mouthful of the mixture into your mouth. This is a good opportunity to show off your Drama skills, with revolted facial expressions and contortions!

Ask for volunteers to try it out - I got two last year and they both tried it. One realised it tasted like chocolate but spat it out because she THOUGHT she had cat-food in her mouth!

Finally, go on to reveal the trick and talk about how things, and people aren't what they seem. Or trying new things. Or trust!

This requires a lot of preparaion but it really is worth it. I last did this assembly with Year 7s two years ago and they still talk about it!
  4. Thanks Matt, that sounds fun - will definitely think about giving it a go(prep time allowing...)
    My email is dorothygale17@yahoo.co.uk if you get a chance to send anything else through I'd be very grateful!
  5. Hi Matt, It's obviously a while since you posted this, but i would like to take you up on your offer of sharing some of your assembly ideas. I've just become Head of Year 8 and I'm already desperate for ideas! any guidance would be gratefully received!
  6. Sorry - forgot to add my e mail: kjr7@blueyonder.co.uk Cheers!
  7. matt,
    i love this idea, brilliant, and as i have just been successful in attaining a position as head of year 7 from september i'll be using this idea.
    If you could send me some further ideas, i would be grateful as im starting to think about ideas for assembiles and form time for september
    cheers, k_o_hara@hotmail.com

8. Hiya,
    If you get a chance could you send me some of your ideas as I am starting as Head of year 7 in September.
  9. Hi Matt
    Just wondered if you could e-mail me any assembly ideas, I am currently the Head of year 7 and am struggling to get some good ideas.

regards Lee
  10. Dear Matt
    I stumbled upon your assembly idea as I searched for Year 7 assembly - what a fab idea. I tried it last week and it worked a treat, the kids are still ****** off with me for cheating them!!!
    I would really appreciate your other Assembly ideas if you get this message... 3 years on!
  11. Dear Matt,
    I know this was a long time ago now, but could you possibly send me some ideas for Year 7 assemblies please?
    My email address is: aslindqvist@gmail.com.
    Thank you,