1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 7 admissions - when you can't meet need

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by nicki_p, Jun 18, 2019.

1. nicki_p

nicki_p New commenter

We have rejected applications from two year 6s with EHCPs as we cannot meet their needs. The LA has told us we have to take one of them despite our detailed reasons and costed provision map showing how we cannot meet need (e.g. student would require 1:1 TA support at all times, including break/lunchtime). Can we appeal this? What is the process? I'm not the SENCO, but our SENCO is also unsure as they have not had to do this before.
    Any advice much appreciated.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Does the LA have spaces at provision more suited to their complex needs . Does it exist ? We had a student once in mainstream Secondary without a voice box - she could sort of make herself understood but she needed a huge support package and a TA full time - we were proactive / coped and she thrived.

Sorry to be anecdotal but without being privy to the details of your student hard to comment ... I think the alternative would be to accept the student and attempt to accommodate by every means possible and then wait for the system to fail the student / the student to ‘ fail ‘ - scandalous I realise but .....

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

In and of itself, that a pupil would need such a 1:1 is not a reason to say no, as that is essentially a funding reason.

Funding is not a reason for defining a place.

Being unable to meet needs means that your setting lacks either the expertise or appropriate curriculum. If a TA is all that's needed to enable access then you don't have a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

What do parents want? If they are in your side then the LA can back down, but if parents want you then it is game over.

minnie me likes this.