1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by NQT88, Mar 13, 2012.

1. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

The year 6 girls in my class are very difficult (and outnumber the boys by quite a lot).
    Recently a major issue has been them twisting things adults say and lying about things they've done.
    EG: I see them talking in line/throwing pens/ pushing each other... tell them not to and there response is to say "i didn't do anything!" and continue to say they haven't.
    Any advice?

2. NQT88

NQT88 New commenter

The year 6 girls in my class are very difficult (and outnumber the boys by quite a lot).
    Recently a major issue has been them twisting things adults say and lying about things they've done.
    EG: I see them talking in line/throwing pens/ pushing each other... tell them not to and there response is to say "i didn't do anything!" and continue to say they haven't.
    Any advice?

3. Tell them you don't tolerate lying & then follow the school behaviour policy. Hormones will be raging but you can't let become an excuse for unacceptable behaviour.

4. I often find Year 6 girls much harder than the boys. So my first piece of advice is don't sweat the small stuff. Don't let it get you down. Year 6 can be tough and the summer term is tougher.

If you see them do something don't let them deny it. Don't give them the opportunity. Are they calling you a liar?
    Don't be afraid to ask for support from colleagues. In my experience they can be unsympathetic if they have never taught Year 6, but support, especially from HT, is crucial.
    Get the parents on board asap otherwise you'll find yourselves battling them as well.
    Make a major issue of trust and honesty and reward accordingly.
    Try
    and avoid certain situations you know can be flashpoints. E.g. in lines
    ask some of the girls to help you carry equipment/help younger
    children. Deflect and head them off.
    Good luck and remember they're in Year 6- in a few months you can smile and wave and wish them all the best!

5. It sounds like they have got the better of you and they know it. Divide and rule. If you see them doing something, take them out of line and deal with them where they haven't got an audience. Make them aware that you know exactly what they have done in a quiet, but firm way. Don't let them answer back. They are enjoying making you feel uncomfortable. You are the adult, and let them know it. Have a behaviour system in your classroom that is very clear and very firm. Make YOUR rules clear. If they break your rules, let them know there are sanctions. Whatever you do, always make sure they haven't got an audience to perform to. They are 11, and don't let them forget it! It will work, and they will respect you for it.