1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fabfuchsia, Sep 6, 2011.

1. I know this has all been asked before, BUT I have just been asked to cover a Year 6 Class long term supply (Teacher has broken leg) I only have a small amount of Day to Day experience and I am feeling a bit out of my depth and unprepared. Any pearls of wisdom will be gratefully received

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Try to find the class teacher's medium term plans or a previous years, so you've got something to work from.Get yourself some sort of filing system and sort out possible resources into the various subject areas and be prepared for some long evenings of preparation.
    Best of luck!

3. What specifically are you worried about?
    In terms of behaviour your expectations are exactly the same for any class and I would make that clear straight away. Occasionally Y6 can get 'big fish in a small pond syndrome' and just need reminding who's boss and that ultimately they are only 10 or 11 years old. Any cockiness or rudeness should be treated as it would be from any child. Knowing that you're going to be long term I would be quite clear on this 'That may have been the way Miss Z did it but I do it this way'. If your school has a behaviour system this will be a great help as you can show that you DO know what you're doing even if you're new!
    But like I say, I would probably suggest that for any class.
    Expectations will depend on your class but I would expect children to be able to work alone or in groups and take responsibility for this - if you allow your group to chatter rather than work then you will be doing work at lunchtime. I think expectations for literacy and numeracy take a bit of a jump as well, reading becomes more critical, writing at L4/5 is much more sophisticated as is the maths. I loved this and found the children were keen to meet these standards.
    How long is your supply? I cant imagine you'd be getting into the sex-ed or sats areas?

4. ecawemma

ecawemma New commenter

Try looking at the Y6 Literacy plans on www.emmarogers.org.uk That should help as it suggests some texts and films etc to use.

5. thanks that looks really helpful.

6. Thanks for your helpful advice I suppose one of the things that concerns me is the teaching of Yr 6 Maths, my subject knowledge at this level is a bit rusty....any ideas?