1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amy131, Oct 19, 2011.

1. My year 6 class are not consistently using the basics in their writing.
    e.g. Capital letters for proper nouns, forgetting full stops / capital letters, question marks and exclamation marks. I know they know how to use them because they use them some of the time.
    Any advice / tips please?

2. No real help but you are not alone!! My children can do this when reminded but as soon as they are left alone it all goes out the window!

3. Again no real help, just further reassurance that you are not alone!

4. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Mine have to rewrite their work until it is correct. I give them a quick reminder, help them put in the first few that are missing and then check it once they've made a start.

5. I've given these out this week to my Y5s and they have been trying really hard with their punctuation. I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually but it's working well so far! I have also used the sentence opener ladder and the connectives ladder, with good results.
    http://displays.tpet.co.uk/#/search/punctuation%20ladder
    [​IMG]

6. Give them piunctuation pens.
    A different colour, to use for all their punctuation, they can see at a glance if there is not much ... may help!