1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 - Writing their own story book for ks1...ideas on how to start please

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Jun 7, 2011.

1. We have just had the call Argh, fiesr time, sheer panic!!
    I loved the idea about designing and writing own story book for a younger audience.
    How should I start to engage chidren?
    How things should I include to make the lesson exciting and interesting?

Thank you

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We just did this the week before half term. However it took all week and more than an hour a day to have a fabulous finished book at the end of it.

We watched a DVD of a few Mr Ben episodes and discussed what was the same in all of them and so would have to be included in their books. We also then looked at what could change each time. Children then worked in groups to plan their own story. Then then worked alone to write the story, illustrate it and make it into a book.

On the Friday morning the children took their books to reception class and read and discussed their book 1-1 with a reception child.

3. Thank you so much for all your input especially Marlin.
    I partically like the ICT link of watching short clips to start with.

4. I remember enjoying reading spot the dog. Do you think I could show clips of spot the dog... goes on holiday, spots windy day, spot stays overnight etc.
    Discuss the similarities, and then talk about what is different.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yeps!

Maybe give them a few print outs of Spot to use in the illustrations.

6. Thank you for getting back to me.
    I enjoyed watching spot on u tube but we can't use this in school. I will have to buy a few episodes on dvd.
    Did you show the dvd of Mr Ben (I remember having a tape of that too)? Did you watch a few episodes? Then did you discuss the similarities and differences in each episode?
    What was your next steps? Did you come up with a success criteria together?
    Did your class model their books on Mr Ben, so basically they planned and wrote the next episode of Mr Ben maybe using different ideas for his adventures?
    Did you model any writing? How did you go from discusing the video clip to the planning phrase. Obviously this wasn't all done in one leason.
    I could show them the dvd on lesson, discuss, start to plan ideas. Then the next lesson could start with the books, that way I could show them the transition from screen to book maybe.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes.
    I gave a few and they came up with more.
    That is exactly it yes.
    No, didn't really do any modelling, they are year 6 and it was a fun activity after SATs. They were more than capable of doing it without me needing to model.

They watched a few episodes. We discussed what could be changed and what couldn't, what features were in each story, etc. They worked in small groups to plan their own story. Peer marked each other's plans. Next lesson used their group plan to write their own story. Then next lesson split the story into what would be on each page and then began to write. After that it took most of each day to do the actual book writing/making.

Personally I'd not do the DVD and planning lesson with ofsted in. There wasn't much to see of children learning and making progress. Mind you I'd not have done this whole thing with ofsted with my class, as they were just relaxing and enjoying writing rather than learning and making progress.

8. Thank you for replying
    Oh no. We have covered all genres of writing now, for year 6 ofsted have come at the worst time of the year. Obviously, ofsted will want to see the chn making progress, and learning. I'm lost don't know what to do now [​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But surely you have some things that your children did not fully understand or are not very good at? Do lessons based around those.