1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Writing SATs - are we sharing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ElijahKnows, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Has anyone done them yet? And when we do, are we sharing them on here?
    I have no doubt that 9/10 schools will already know the topics before they actually do the SATs - is this right?
    Is it cheating?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We won't, we have gone for external marking.
    But then, I can ignore the test results and enter a teacher assessment anyway!

3. Out of curiosity, why didn't you want to mark the tests yourself if your going to ignore them and put your TA in anyway?
    I really don't know why schools are choosing any form of external marking.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Because when we had to decide, no-one in our authority had any idea what the moderation process would be like, so we avoided it! ( and no-one still seems to know!)

5. Your authority will moderate 25% of the schools in your area. They will come in and look at samples of writing for some children over the course of Year 6 alongside the tests to see if your levels agree - although we have 120 kids in Y6 so I guess they won't do too many in one day!
    That's how it's going to work in ours anyway.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Well, at least you know, ours don't have a clue! We've heard rumours of moderation meetings, where we all get together and apparently agree a level for each child in the cluster, through to portfolios for each child, to APP files for sample children and onto external moderators in every school. It's a dog's dinner!