1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Writing SAT teacher assessed - are teachers compensated for extra workload?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by BizzarriniLi, May 7, 2012.

1. BizzarriniLi

BizzarriniLi New commenter

With regard to the Year 6 Writing SATS - I know generally teachers prefer the teacher assessment to the externally marked SATs but are you compensated for the extra workload?

2. BizzarriniLi

BizzarriniLi New commenter

With regard to the Year 6 Writing SATS - I know generally teachers prefer the teacher assessment to the externally marked SATs but are you compensated for the extra workload?

3. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

Why would I get paid more to do my job?

4. Yep... the pleasure of working in Y6. Not sarcastic I love teaching Y6.

5. I highly doubt it. It might be that a half days supply cover etc is incorporated into the school budget to give you release time, perhaps. That is what is meant to happen in KS1 but rarely does!

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I've never quite figured that out! Each year group from 2 upwards does Optional SATs in my school and no-one ever quibbles about marking them, yet Year 2 are <u>meant</u> to have time built in ( not that, as you say, they ever do!) Surely marking assessments is just part of the job!

7. We have built a day in for the year 6 teachers and some members of the SLT as more of a moderation opportunity as well as to ease the pressure of the work load

8. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I've had two half-days out so far for moderation, so that probably counts as any extra time I may get. However, as my year colleague is also AHT, she'll probably swing it so the classes are doing PE with a TA one afternoon when tests have finished and we'll have a little extra time.
    But I wouldn't expect it. Definitely just part of the job and I do love my job!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Never taught year 6 but I do seem to remember marking "optional" SATS in year 2,3,4 and 5 (reading, writing and maths) as well as marking various external assessments in year 1 and never being given extra time to do that.

10. rek45

rek45 New commenter

We haven't got to produce any extra work; even internally marked tests are only part of the judgement. All we are expected to use is work produced in class which should be assessed anyway. It's teacher assessment as teachers in any other year group are expected to do.