1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Topics - What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missblack86, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Hi Lou2005, I know you are probably sick of hearing this, but... would you mind sending me a copy of your storms and shipwrecks planning? It sounds like an excellent idea and I'm desperate to try something new and exciting!
    Many thanks in advance!

r.clasper101@durhamlearning.net

2. Hi Lou,
    Many years later... would love a copy of your Storms and Shipwrecks, building weather stations etc and chocolate planning. It sounds fantastic, would love to give it a go. georgina.greenwood@btinternet.com

3. Hi did you manage to get a copy of the storms and shipwreck planning?

4. brfcsc

brfcsc New commenter

Hi Lou, would love a copy of your Storms and Shipwrecks,
    building weather stations planning. It sounds
    fantastic, would love to give it a go.
    capo5@hotmail.co.uk

5. Hello there!
    Is the offer of the Storms and Shipwrecks planning still on offer? Or have I missed the boat? (No punn intended!) It sounds great, but I don't know where to start...
    Thanks!

6. Hello Lou, I know this is from a long time ago, but if you still have the planning for storms and shipwrecks I would love to have a look. My email is maddiegoudsmit@ fiveislands.scilly.sch.uk
    Many thanks, Maddie

7. Hi Lou - Wondered if you still had a copy of your storms and shipwrecks planning that I could have a look at? My email is beth558@hotmail.com. Thanks Beth

8. Hi, I know that this is from many years ago, but do you still have a copy of your planning for storms and shipwrecks? It sounds like an amazing topic. Any help would really be appreciated. My email is macsarah@live.com

9. Hi Bubbles357

I realise that your post is quite old but I've taught a Y5/6 class this year so am currently in the process of replanning all my topics as have the Y5s again next year and was wondering if you could give me a few more ideas about a couple of your topics:

Who tells us what to believe?

What is survival?

The spirit of adventure

Thanks

10. Alena

Alena New commenter

We run a 2 year cycle. One year we do Vicotrians, Europe and Britain Since 1930 and the other year we do Tudors, Kenya and Sensational Sussex

11. Hi Lou2005 is there any chance I could have a look at your 'wreck of the Zanzibar' planning please i'm new to upper ks2 and would like it to get a better idea of pitch.My email is ailsafoster@hotmail.co.uk thanks in advance x

12. This year with my Year 5/6 I'm doing:

1. Explosive Earth - geography of volcanoes, DT was shelters for volcanologists, Sci was solids/liquids/gases.

2. Troy Story - just started this; myths and legends from Greece; Sci is healthy eating linked to Olympics, PE we're dancing on the theme of Theseus and the Minotaur; for Art I've adapted the People in Action unit to focus on Greek heroes and monsters plus Olympic athletes.

3. We've Got the Power! - geographical issues focusing electricity as there's a wind farm planned in the village; Sci will be electricity (unsurprisingly!); Literacy will be persuasive/discursive writing on issues, D/T will be the old Fairground unit with some sort of skew, maybe making a powered turbine or something.

4. A Night To Remember - the sinking of the Titanic; we look at the route taken/coordinates, icebergs, lots of literacy of all kinds eg letters from onboard, adverts, a debate on whose fault the ship sank; D/T is the Slippers unit adapted to some sort of deck shoes for when onboard; Science is Forces.

Haven't got much further than that! Two more topics, probably Aztecs and then Chocolate, or one based on Treasure Island.

13. Hi Lou

I'm just thinking about how to motivate my Year Sixes through Sats and would love to look at your Storms and Shipwrecks plus Wreck of the Zanzibar planning. My email is arnold.libby@yahoo.co.uk.

14. Would luv a copy of chocolate and storms and ships wrecks planning if it is possible

my email is simon.mosley@1'ntlyworld.com

Thank you

15. Alena

Alena New commenter

We do a 2 year cycle and I work alongside my year 5 colleague.

Victorians

Europe

Britain Since 1930

Tudors

Kenya

Sensational Sussex (Local Study)

16. Hi lou2005. Was wondering if I could see your planning and resources for wreck of Zanzibar and storms and shipwrecks. I have just moved from P1 to P6 and am struggling yo get my head around the changes. Thanks in advance. My email is dp.jnp@blueyonder.co.uk

17. ellynellynora

ellynellynora New commenter

18. charlbe1

charlbe1 New commenter

Does anyone have planning they could share for the storms and shipwrecks or the chocolate topics still? I know this post is from a while ago but still looks great?

19. sarahmayscott

sarahmayscott New commenter

Hi - any chance of being sent your planing on Fairgrounds too? We've just begun this for the first time. Many thanks
    sarahmayscott@hotmail.co.uk

20. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

@sarahmayscott I take it you've checked in Resources first?

This used to be a QCA dt unit and there was lots of planning and ideas.

Quick search on here produced
    https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/dt-fairgrounds-plan-ppt-and-worksheets-6154303

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/unit-6c-fairground-ideas-6074276

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/unit-6c-fairground-design-and-make-assignment-6074281

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/unit-6c-fairground-focused-practical-tasks-6074279
    just for the DT side and if you look there's lots more for Maths & English.

Fantastic project which we did every year and the Year 6s loved it. :)

MissKitCat likes this.