1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Topics - What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by missblack86, Jun 10, 2010.

1. We are currently in the process of re-designing our topics as a school and so far i have:

- What was life like in victorian Britian?
    - Why are rainforests so important?
    - Was it really that bad to live through WW2?

We are planning a cross curricular approach and im looking for any inspiration. I have previously used mountain environments and st lucia but would be grateful of any other ideas.
    What d toher Y6 teachers do as topics? Any help v.appreciated [​IMG]

2. We are currently in the process of re-designing our topics as a school and so far i have:

- What was life like in victorian Britian?
    - Why are rainforests so important?
    - Was it really that bad to live through WW2?

We are planning a cross curricular approach and im looking for any inspiration. I have previously used mountain environments and st lucia but would be grateful of any other ideas.
    What d toher Y6 teachers do as topics? Any help v.appreciated [​IMG]

3. Last autumn term we did chocolate! It was really interesting and led to find out about the rainforests where the plants grow - many children didn't know that chocolate grows on cacao trees.We also looked at the animal and plant life in the rainforests. we covered histroy - the Aztecs and Cortez who led the Spanish in the destruction of their civilisation and the introduction of chocolate into Europe. The way the use of chocolate has changed.
    There was also DT - designing a new chocolate bar and its packaging etc.
    It was a very popular and exciting topic. We also gave the children independent topics to do as a homework task covering a number of weeks.
    They loved it.

4. We did Chocolate too - similar to above - the kids loved it!
    Another good one was storms and shipwrecks - it was basically about extreme weather conditions, encompassing global warming, the water cycle in science, building weather stations and collecting and interpreting results. In DT we made whirligigs, for our text we did Kensuke's Kingdom (although next time I would do Wreck of the Zanzibar). For shipwrecks we focussed a lot on the Titanic - including holding a Titanic day.

5. lou2005 - i love the sound of storms and shipwrecks and links well to something i was working on involving 'what makes the earth angry?' - volcanoes, earthquakes, global warming etc.
    Could i be really cheeky and ask if you have any planning you wouldn't mind sharing? [​IMG] Id be happy to forward what i have on any of the above or on the angry earth topic when i finish it
    my email is c_black@live.co.uk

6. Missblack86 I'm happy to share my planning and resources with you. I've had a quick scan through and found my weekly overview plus some other resources that I used. Before I e-mail them to you, can I ask do you use Promethean Active Primary, because I have a fair few boards prepared that I could also let you have?

7. Hi lou, that would be brilliant!
    Yes we use active primary so even bigger bonus [​IMG]

8. No problem! I've sent you a zipped folder with all the stuff in. Hope you can open it and find the resources useful.

9. Hello Lou, i don't seem to have recieved it...sorry to be a pain but could you try resending it?
    c_black@live.co.uk
    Thanks again [​IMG]

10. We did a unit which we called I'm in year 6-get me out of here!', which was based around outdoor learning and survival skills. We adapted the shelter unit for D.T and threw in some life processes form the science curriculum. We also entered the children into RSPB wildlife awards, so lots of the things we studied or did (pond dipping, making a wildlife garden, raising money for wildlife) counted as marks twoards gold, silver or bronze. The activities were vey varied and the children were so excited-it's even better if you have woods nearby.

11. Hi lou2005, although it's been nearly a year since you posted your comment I wondered if you would be willing to share your resources and promethean flipcharts a little more - I loved the way you've incorporated weather, global warming along with storms and shipwreaks for the chocolate theme.
    I'm building a Caribbean topic, which includes people's lives (weather, rainforests, celebrations, work e.g. chocolate), history (culture & customs, pirates & trade). We are concentrating on carnivals for DT.
    If you'd be willing to send a zip file to drogers@furleypark.kent.sch.uk I would be very grateful, I'm happy to share my resources too if you are ever doing a pirates theme in the future. Thank you!

12. Charna, I didn't incorporate storms and shipwrecks with a chocolate theme - they were two separate topics! I have just done Storms and Shipwrecks again with my current class and they loved it - especially the Titanic part. We went to the O2 Titanic exhibition which was a real 'wow 'for the children. This time we read Wreck of the Zanzibar as the class text and I have prepared a series of Promethean flipcharts for this. Let me know what you want: Storms and Shipwrecks, Chocolate or Wreck of the Zanzibar.

13. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

lou2005-would it be possible to have a look at your plans on storms and shipwrecks? I have done a topic on the Titanic with Yr 6 but I would like some ideas to expand on this.
    Many thanks
    moira.croskell@talktalk.net

14. Can I jump in and ask for a copy as well? We are just starting the move towards the creative curriculm and am wanting to expand what we do.
    Thanks
    jerseyhelen@gmail.com

15. Hi could I also have a copy of storms and shipwrecks please?
    Thanks
    Johnskaren2@googlemail.com

16. Can I jump on the bandwagon and request too? We're currently redesigning our topics too and love the sound of this one.

meesch@quiche5.freeserve.co.uk

Thank you!

17. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

You have to do Fairgrounds! Creative curiculum heaven! English,Maths,Science,ICT,DT,lots of Art!
    Into our 4th year now.Starts straight after SATS with a visit to a theme park to set the scene!

18. Hi bubbles357 and legoearth is there any way you could send me a copy of your plans? I will be a trainee in Y6 in September and would love to try some of your ideas. Thanks

19. Further to a recent thread i started on here, I have some model texts if anyone would like a copy.
    All are AF accomodating, level 5 and many are cross curricular.