1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Topic - The Titanic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by georgie1982, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Hello,
    I will be doing some topic work on the titanic in year 6 as part of our IPC work. Ive done lots of research but feel a bit over-whelmed by how much there is. If anyone has already done this and has some good ideas on how this works, I would be very grateful! Also, I want to buy some books to support the topic - can anyone suggest any good ones?

2. gentleman_starkey

gentleman_starkey New commenter

Hi, I've done this a few times with year 6 at two different schools - usually post SATS.

We started off with the children looking at the original ships lists which I found on the internet. They chose a character for themselves - good bit of first hand research trying to decipher the writing.
    Showed the children extracts from the DK book Titanic which showed the facilities for each class. The children created an information leaflet which would be in their cabin when they arrived.
    Then they mingled into classes (1st, 2nd, Steerage) introduced
    themselves and talked about why they were going to America and what they
    hoped to do there.We then put this on paper, commencing a diary with the night of boarding talking about their excitement and who they had met. You can do some good work on characterisation and emotions.
    I showed small extracts from the Leo/Winslet film during these lessons - the boarding bit, the difference between first and third class.Some of the sinking.
    Other cross curricular lessons - some good science on floating with the Ghosts of the Abyss DVD (made by James Cameron), maths work on working out how many lifeboats were needed. Some work on signalling with trying to get rescue.
    We wrote newspapers on the tragedy itself and at the end I informed the children whether their character lived or not. Boys tend to want to die, girls to live!
    Hope this helps and if you need any more help, let me know.

3. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

perhaps you could concentrate on one character and do some research?
    we had a history week and a carousel of 10min sessions with the children moving round the teachers who were characters from the past.I chose to be a lady called Martha Parkin and explained how my cousin had got an excellent job on board the Titanic as the bandmaster Wallace Hartley.I showed a powerpoint and the Titanic music was playing in the background...I basically told the story withthe 'facts' dates ,numbers of people lost at sea,survivors etc.I then turned on the light and wrote a family tree ,Martha Parkin on the board married to George theyhad 5 children ,wrote down their names and this child had 2 daughters ,wrote down their names and then told them and this one is ME...Martha was my grandmother..the wows I got were amazing! my only claim to fame and Martha had 7 brothers and sisters so there will be many more who can saythey are related.
    Youtube have some good early video clips of the Titanic,I couldn't use them in school but I do think their is a way. Good luck it is a fascinating topic and will really hook some children in to historical research.

4. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

I did this topic with Yr 6 in the spring term this yera. If you send me your email I will send you my plans.
    Moira

5. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

sorry that should have said "year" !

6. I'd love to see your plans - would you mind sharing them with me
    richard.heywood@ntlworld.com

I have some maths things on the titanic I could share with you.

7. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Plans sent by email. Victoria you did not give me your email address!

8. Thanks

9. seakay

seakay New commenter

Thanks for these! [​IMG]

10. Moisy

Moisy New commenter

Plans sent!
    [​IMG]

11. hi, don't know if ur in scotland, but up here we are doing complete CfE topics that include all topics (maths, music, pe, art etc). One is called The Unsinkable Ship, based on Titanic. They r fab and run for one to two terms, depending how big u want it to be. The whole room is turned into a ship and kids r obviously involved in this. I can't rate them highly enough! I'm doing the Magic Castle this term. I got all my info free from Argyll council, from Elaine Magor. Her email is elaine.magor@ea.argyll-bute.sch.uk. Ask her for all the CfE topics on discs n she will send u them all! It takes topics to such a new level but the kids love it and can involve other classes too. And head teachers love them lol! If u have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

12. Ps. I'm in dumfries and galloway so there is no problem about using other councils stuff! Hope this helps guys!

13. Sorry to bother you but if you wouldn't mind, could I steal your plans too please? Very much appreciated! Thanks
    Rachel
    rach_h123@hotmail.com

14. Hello georgie1982
    We've got a few Titanic resources for KS2 in TES Resources that you might find useful including a 10-lesson plan on the subject and a Titanic Timeline.
    Check them out at the link below.
    Titanic resources for KS2
    Best wishes
    Gail

15. Hi
    I am doing this topic after half term would it be possible to get a copy of the plans?

dizzy1st13@hotmail.com

dizzy1st13

16. Ive just started this topic. ive got loads of information but don't know where to start. Please could I have a copy of your plans? These will be much appreciated.
    kelleeblue@hotmail.co.uk

17. Moira could I jump on the bandwagon and have a look at your plans also. Planning to undertake this topic before the end of the session. Thanks
    k.mccabe87@ntlworld.com

18. Can I be a pain and ask too ?
    Louise-hodgson@hotmail.co.uk

Did you do this as an after sats topic? How many hours did it take?
    Thanks