1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 to Year 2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pantobabe, Mar 22, 2016.

1. pantobabe

pantobabe New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've been a year 6 teacher for the past four years, and have today been told that I will be moving to Year 2 next year. I did ask for this move in order to help my career and experience another key stage, but feeling a little nervous as to what to expect! Just wondering if any Ks1 teachers could recommend any reading for me /textbooks to buy over the Easter to help me familiarise myself? I teach in an international school and am back to the UK this break so want to stock up whilst I can! Thanks

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Lucky you, I made the same move a few years ago, but after much longer in year 5/6.

Scarily it isn't as much of a jump as you would hope...do NOT wonder aloud what on earth children actually learn in year 3/4/5 since you seem to be teaching the same things to year two that you did to year six!

I read:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Key-..._UL160_SR113,160_&refRID=1R0WPQWEPAJRE0Y4FKJC
    But it depends on your school, how much of it you could use. At the time I used it a lot and could do so now, but not in the in between school. (!!)

I also bought:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Ac...14&sr=1-5&keywords=character+setting+and+plot
    Which was excelent for English ideas...still use bits from it now with year 3.
    I didn't like the maths and science ones as much, but other peopel rave about them.

Loved year 2...you will have a ball!

3. pantobabe

pantobabe New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice! I am so excited, just wanted to be prepared! :)