1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 to start secondary school in summer term

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by teacher4444, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Does anybody know whether secondary school teachers are legally obliged / allowed to teach junior school pupils during their last summer term, if the secondary school begins the new term in June instead of September? I'm thinking here not only of teachers' expectations for gaining some preparation time after exam classes leave, but also of the young pupils' rights to finish their junior school education in junior school.

Thank you for any comments.

2. Does anybody know whether secondary school teachers are legally obliged / allowed to teach junior school pupils during their last summer term, if the secondary school begins the new term in June instead of September? I'm thinking here not only of teachers' expectations for gaining some preparation time after exam classes leave, but also of the young pupils' rights to finish their junior school education in junior school.

Thank you for any comments.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Secondary teachers have no 'rights' to gain preparation time after exam classes leave (some secondary staff don't get any 'gained time' at all).
    2. Secondary teachers are teachers like any other and can teach any children of compulsory school age.
    3. Y6 pupils do not have any enshrined 'right' to 'finish' their 'junior school' education in a junior school. Indeed, there are many grounds for saying they would do better if moved up after SATs, since these forums suggest they spend much of this time faffing about simply being 'kept busy'.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

All true, but I would wonder how effective this policy will be, and how much benefit the pupils will get if the staff who are teaching them are not volunteers, and have not just been timetabled becausethey happen to be 'freed up' from Y11 or Y13? They might well not be the best teachers for 10 year olds, might not even normally teach Y7 and might not be teaching the same pupils in Y7 in September...(and may have been given other tasks to do in this 'gained' time).
    So it probably depends on how this hasbeen introduced and who is involved... If the Op is forced to do it, I'm not sure the pupils will get much out of it!

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If the secondary has begun its new timetable, the teachers teaching them will presumably be those who will be teaching year 7 in September, save for the few who are moving school. Some schools already start their new timetable in June, which means gained time goes to those who will be teaching year 7 in September, rather than those with exam groups (gain for RE, lose for Business Studies, I suspect).
    I think my biggest concern might be for families who are moving: many families try to make theiir house move in the summer holiday, in order that disruption to their children's education is minimised. It will be very daunting for an 11 year old starting in September if the rest of the year group started in June.
    Under this scheme, the gained time is transferred to the primary school. (Maybe they could also do move-up early, with the end result being to free up the reception teachers to do more liaison with pre-school and home visits.)

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

With the resignation date 31/05 there will be a number of posts being filled, and - in many schools - the turn over can be quite large.
    Also, unless all schools do this (which they don't) then the match up primary/secondaty won't work, and so some primary schools will be saying good bye to a few pupils before the rest...not exactly a goodway to end the year, and almost inevitably likely to decrease the relevance of the lessons for those left...
    Like so much in English education, this is ill thought out and piecemeal chnage...

7. Our school did "Early Transition" before the summer. I found the whole experience a bit of a mess with not all pupils attending and also some pupils attending who were not going to be starting in September. I also found that June, at the end of the year when all teachers are tired, the worst time to be making fresh starts and setting standards for the pupils. I think it will have a knock-on effect in September when you want to be making strong starts with all your classes, yet you have already made a bad start sith them in June. I do not see how starting the new Y7s early will have any effect on attainment.

I do not think "gained time" is a right for Secondary school teachers, and I also think that not all teachers use this time effectively; however, I think a better way of using this time would be for both Primary and Secondary teachers to get together and share ideas, resources, APP strategies to make the transition between Y6 and Y7 smoother for pupils, parnts and teachers and ultimately reduce the slump and improve attainment for all pupils. I think the more Secondary and Primary teachers can work together the better it will be for all concerned.

Secondary Maths Teacher