1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 to nursery!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by jellylegs11, Aug 31, 2019.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

Hello I'm looking for advice and support.

I've been moved from y6 to nursery and its all been a bit rushed and no handover or anything left for me. I have completely transformed the environment over the summer holidays and I'm really pleased with the indoor and outdoor learning opportunities I've created.

My issue- stupidly- is planning. I'm unsure of what format to use and how to plan for those first few weeks where I'll be making my baseline assessments.

I also don't know about my daily routine which I know will come in time but any hints or tips?

I also want some suggestions for good first weeks books to read/ focus on... fun engaging ones. I love reading to children but would love to hear which are your favourite books to read to nursery age children. I do have an 8 year old and 4 year old myself and I know what my boys like.

Songs too... what are your favourite songs?
    Looking for a tidy up song to play.

Sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions just want to get this right. I've taught all year groups now except nursery and only a term in reception back in 2004 so it's not my area of expertise!

Many thanks in advance

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

3. robspillane

robspillane New commenter

Planning - it depends what approach you have to learning. I do not record my provision on planning format because that's self explanatory. I don't need to write it down for the sake of it. Also, it changes regularly. I use a research based approach to planning so I observe the classroom and identify areas that need developing and plan accordingly to enhance areas, teach certain skills.
    Now you've set up the provision, observe and change and adapt for the first couple of weeks to identify areas of development and record that down. Read books and do activities which help you carry out your baselines. I'm into my 3rd weeks and so will only start planning this week for next.

Daily routines - be flexible. I have dinner time and sleep time which doesn't move but everything else is open to interpretation. Look at what your children need and when they are most receptive to decide where you have carpet times and groups. And be ready to adapt. If something doesn't get done, there's always tomorrow.

Books - again, read some of your favourite books but look at what the children need. If they're boisterous then read a book about being calm. If they're upset, read a book that deals with emotions. Check out the website www.getepic.com which allows you to create a free teacher account. Plenty of online books on there if you don't have any in the class room that you fancy. And you can search for keywords.

Songs - I'm in a bilingual school so I can sing mine in English and Chinese and they're pretty bespoke. But don't use anything too gimmicky because you want it to purvey a message, not be entertaining.

I haven't given you direct answers but unfortunately, in early years, there is never a direct answer. Feel free to message to ask any questions if you're stuck.

4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Hi there. Welcome to the fabulous world of early years, it will indeed be a steep learning curve but many have done it and loved it!

Will you have a TA that knows the ropes? They will be a wealth of information regarding planning that is already there. No point reinventing the wheel if you don't need to.
    Your early weeks will focus on getting to know the children, settling in and establishing routines. Tissues and hand gel will be your new best friend! . Don't underestimate how long it takes to do anything. If the children have never attended other nurseries, it will be like herding jelly. This is normal.

Your nursery will have books so use those, and again ask colleagues about favourites, you will soon develop your own. Keep carpet sessions short.
    Songs, well I knew sir cumference would be along as soon as 'song' is mentioned, but you won't go wrong with well known nursery rhymes, picking up some new ones along the way.

Finally, are you doing home visits?
    Enjoy it, expect to be more exhausted than you ever knew, but come back and tell us how it's going, there's lots of help when you get a hiccup or two.