1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 to EYFS! Help! Help! Please.....

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Roseman, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Roseman

Roseman New commenter

Hi
    I am a Year 6 teacher and I have been asked if I would be interested in moving to EYFS. It sounds like a great opportunity as I would be EYFS manager and the school are building a brand new nursery.
    However, I am petrified as I do not know a great deal about EYFS and only have limited experience; which was a number of years ago.
    I was wondering if there were any experts out there willing to help me. If you could give me some pointers as to where to start (what to read, planning ect) as I know there have been recent changes. I would really appreciate any help or advice.

I really hope someone will help, many thanks in anticipation.

Roseman [​IMG]

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I am not surprised you are a little nervous, given that you would be managing the unit... but if you are keen, why not give it a try?
    A very useful EYFS document is 'Development Matters' (google it). This explains the new framework relatively clearly and concisely, with tips on how to help children achieve each developmental milestone (how you can set up the classroom, and what you can do as a practitioner).
    Presumably your school already has some Foundation Stage pupils, so it would be very worthwhile to spend some of your PPA time in the unit, observing current practice and getting used to the chaos that is small children learning through play.

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I moved from a zillion years in year 5 and above to year 2 last year and year 1 this year. We teach year 1 in a FS manner and it really is a totally different job. The way of planning and teaching is completely different and you will have moments of thinking "I really haven't a clue what to do here" and that's just to do with teaching your class!

Having said that, if you have the leadership skills and abilities, possibly experience as well, that part won't be new. So long as you spend the rest of this year (I'm assuming you would move in Sept) learning the teaching part you would be fine. No one wants a leader that they have to carry along, you would need the respect of the other staff. If you have that then go for it. You'll soon wonder why you never taught the smaller ones before, it is much more fun!