1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 theme for after SATs

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TheGazMan, Apr 20, 2011.

1. TheGazMan

TheGazMan New commenter

Hi guys,
    Was just wondering what ideas some of you had for an inspiring theme for post SATs teaching with a Year 5/6 class. It's my second year teaching Year 6 and last year was made easy with having the World Cup following on after SATs. Next year will be just as easy with the Olympics! But this year I'm struggling a little to come up with a theme I know will keep everyone motivated.
    We've done Castles and Rivers and Coasts for the first two terms themes this year. Last year we did Forests, Tudors and then the World Cup. Any ideas would be gratefully taken onboard.
    Cheers.

2. We did "Stormbreaker" as a unit after SATs last year. Our Year 6s really like it, because it lends itself to quite a few different things.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We're looking at telephones! Starting with science from the basics of electrical circuits onto building morse code machines and then onto DT with designing our own mobile phone ( not sure if we'll manage to build one tho!) and making a phone "bag" with sewing or knitting. We're incorporating History by looking at the inventors and inventions, literacy will cover biographies, instructions and recounts,
    The rest of the school are covering different inventions too and we're ending up with Victorian Dragon's Den to try and sell one of these "new-fangled" ideas to Queen Victoria!

4. My African drumming workshops are a popular After-Sats
    enrichment/relaxation/catch up with the neglected music curriculum
    activity, whether linked to a topic or not. If you'd like some
    informaiton, please have a look at mythread on the Marketplace forum, or
    email me.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Having done some science assessment tasks this week, I think we are going to be doing parts of the body and of plants! Starting with where one's lungs are!

Then move on to making simple circuits. One bulb, one battery and however many wires you think will do for starters!