1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 - texts with aeroplanes?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bumblingbee, Aug 10, 2011.

1. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

Our topic this term is aeroplanes and I'm not finding it easy to source texts suitable for a year 6 with a wide (very wide) range of ability!
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Bee

2. bumblingbee

Our topic this term is aeroplanes and I'm not finding it easy to source texts suitable for a year 6 with a wide (very wide) range of ability!
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Bee

3. What about Flying Solo - Roald Dahl autobiography?

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall is about boys finding a crashed German plane. You may find extracts suitable to use - be warned though - it is quite gory!

5. bumblingbee

Thank you both. I'm re-reading Going Solo at the moment to see if its suitable.
    I'll check out The Machine Gunners - thanks.

6. Can I please ask why your year 6 topic this term is Aeroplanes?
    That sounds awful to me! What sort of work will you be doing?

7. Wanted to echo the last comment- why aeroplanes?? I teach year six and we choose texts for English which will be exciting and inspiring for the children, whilst enabling us to teach a range of genres and styles of writing, making cross-curricukar links if it's suitable. Subjects are taught explicitly if necessary but relevant links between subjects are made where possible/appropriate. Art, DT, ICT, music are subjects which we often link to the book we're working on.
    Does your school require you to link everything with aeroplanes?

Just curious, by the way!

8. bumblingbee

Hi Rob and Cattym,
    It's not strictly speaking aeroplanes as such - it's actually about their impact on the world. Topic work, literacy work etc needs to be linked to it and although some subjects are taught explicitly but if links can be made then they are.
    Bee