1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6, stories with flashbacks, how do you teach this?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by blackpurse, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I decided to scrap all framework planning and focus on what my class needed. I really feel this has been a huge success. So far completed blocks on recounts, persuasive writing and currently looking at journalistic writing in more detail. Next i'd like to more onto narrative writing. Starting with general story structure moving onto story openers, setting/character description, story endings then focusing on stories with flashbacks then if we have time stories with issues and dilemas.
    I was wondering what the best way was to teach story structure. Any tried and tested methods that worked. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for taking time to read and reply.

2. I decided to scrap all framework planning and focus on what my class needed. I really feel this has been a huge success. So far completed blocks on recounts, persuasive writing and currently looking at journalistic writing in more detail. Next i'd like to more onto narrative writing. Starting with general story structure moving onto story openers, setting/character description, story endings then focusing on stories with flashbacks then if we have time stories with issues and dilemas.
    I was wondering what the best way was to teach story structure. Any tried and tested methods that worked. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for taking time to read and reply.

3. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

There's quite a few previous posts on the flashbacks unit. Try having a search through these as this is where I got most of my ideas from.

4. Thanks, i'll take a look. Do you think stories with flashbacks are worth looking at before the SATs? I'm thinking that the flashback element is level 5 therefore as a piece of writing that they could get in SATs is unlikely. It is more likely that they would be asked to finish a story or describe a setting or even write the beginning. I think I should focus on stories with issues and dilemmas and if we have time revisit stories with flashbacks before the SATs. What do you think?

5. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

Looking at the pattern from the last few years the short writing has been something descriptive and the long writing has been a more definate non-fiction. At the moment i've got 1 week left of the non-fiction revision unit and then I'll be spending the 3 weeks after that doing the narrative revision unit. Will decide from their progress in these units what my next focus will be.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just an opinion blackpurse, but I do agree stories with flashbacks are level 5. Thus useful to study for your more able hoping to achieve that level as they could well use the technique within a SATs paper as part of their writing, but don't spend too long on it as most level 4 s will not be able to use it well.

7. I never teach this unit, it's just really hard for the majority of children to write in this way. I have always found that children find it really tough to structure a basic story so we focus on a few short story structures (a quest, a ghost story etc.) learn them using the Pie Corbett thing and then write them. I do know that people use the video by Adrian someone called 'the Piano' to kick start writing with flashbacks if you're still keen - it's a lovely bit of video and I can see that with a bright bunch you could do some good stuff from it.

8. Agree that is a high-level skill but even lower-ability children can do if taught simply. I'm going to teach to write starting with some climax, like a car hanging off a cliff and then use rest of story to explain how it got there and then conclude it. Can also teach general story-writing through it then like dialogue and sentence openers, descriptive writing etc.

9. Thank you for the replies. I'll probably focus a little time on flasbacks with a group of more able children to extend them. On the whole i'm going to focus on story structure. Am I right in thinking that stories with issues and dilemmas are just your typical stories? I really want to get this right, like past units i've planned, i've done loads of research before hand and I believe that's the reason why they have worked so well.

Beestoni, i've tried various Pie Corbett techniques but not the story structure technique. Can you tell me a bit more about it? Where I might find the technique?
    Thank you

10. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I'm not trying to be funny but I highly doubt that you will get a SATs paper that asks you to 'write a story with a flashback'. It just won't happen. They usually like to combine a couple of different types of writing for the long writing task. Your children will be able to get L5 if they haven't ever heard of this unit of work, mainly because it is a QCA unit and I don't think they set SATs tasks on the QCA.

Can I ask, why are you using this unit yet moving away from QCA for other units?

11. choccietwirl

choccietwirl New commenter

I thnk this unit is just trying to focus on how time is handled in storie, flashbacks being one way that it is.
    We have been looking at the seven story blueprints in yr6 and what they mean, using them to write stories. They might be more useful than focusing on flashbacks.
    http://www.devonldp.org/view_folder.asp?folderid=124919&depth=3&rootid=17&level1=&level1id=&level2=391&level2id=391&level3=124919&level3id=
    We were shown the yr6 challenges for inventing on training as of preparing for sats. It might help.

12. choccietwirl

choccietwirl New commenter

apologies for the typos and missing words.

13. Hi thanks for the advice. I want to focus on narrative writing as this could be a posibility for the longer writing task as it hasn't been covered for a while. I was thinking stories with flashbacks as this is a year 6 unit. On reflection, I've decided to cover story structure using detective and horror focus. I will then spend more time on story openings/endings and setting/character descriptions.

14. Choccietwirl, I've tried to open the link that you kindly gave me, however I can't open it.

15. I've loaded it now, thanks.

16. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Have taught Yr 6 for yonks and never done a flashback in my life. Don't do narrative either now, as it doesn't come up in Sats. How bad is that........