1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 Songwriter unit - what songs do you use? Help!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Tiggeroo, Jan 10, 2007.

1. What songs have you used to teach this unit? Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on teaching this unit and suitable songs to use. Really struggling for ideas here :(

Thanks in advance, Tigs. x x x

2. What songs have you used to teach this unit? Wondering if anyone has any good ideas on teaching this unit and suitable songs to use. Really struggling for ideas here :(

Thanks in advance, Tigs. x x x

3. JenniferP

JenniferP New commenter

I've just finished this unit.
    I'm back in teaching after a seven year break so was also struggling a bit for ideas, but in the end, I played them some blues music, then taught them the 12 bar blues on keyboard using single finger method. They only had to learn where C, F and G were so that was pretty easy.
    Then I got them to compose simple lyrics. The results are great fun - ranging from sounds like nothing at all, to a proper blues performance with really funny lyrics! The children are all really proud of themselves.
    This was with Year 6.
    I've decided to repeat the unit next term with Year 5 only making it simpler and using the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star as the basis, learning to play it on keyboard with single finger chords and then writing new lyrics.
    Is that helpful?
    Jen P

4. You could use some chidrens poems like the Spike Milligan ones for kids. Read through them with correct rhythm. Give them certain notes to use on Xylo or whatever. They put them into an order they like (start on C end on C) and you should have some songs.

5. Hi I used Itsy Bitsy Teeny weeny Yellow ploka Dot Bikini, why? because it is used for the TV mag advert, the children came up with some great lyrics and good variations, they were year 5 and 6.

6. I thought that was a brilliant idea but I'm totally musically illiterate have found out about 12 bar blues but all internet demos make you play chords - can you elaborate on the single finger method? Do you just play 4 bars of c, 2 of f, 2 of c etc with one note?

7. If you're musically illiterate, why on earth are you trying to teach music?

8. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

Primary teachers usually have to teach all subjects. Just thought that would be worth pointing out, for the educationally illiterate.

9. Is it time for a rant about teachers 'teaching' subjects about which they have not the first clue?
    I have taught music in primary schools and the teachers will quite happily and cheerfully admit they they don't understand the first thing about the lessons I teach. When I was off for one day I left very clear cover lessons.
    They were not done. The teacher covering for me didn't understand enough about music to teach them.
    I know full well that primary teachers are expected to teach the primary curriculum. I am not 'educationally illiterate' - thank you very much for that attempt at an insult. Very passive-aggressive of you - well done!
    However, there is something very wrong when most primary teachers are not educated to a sufficient level to actually teach one of the subjects they are SUPPOSED to be teaching.
    *wanders off muttering*