1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Year 6 sitting on the carpet

Discussion in 'Primary' started by noonan123, Feb 4, 2016.

1. noonan123

noonan123 New commenter

I am in a 2 form entry school and teach Year 6. My colleague has her children sitting on the carpet a lot whereas I prefer them sat at their desks. Teaching younger years I have had them on the carpet but not year 6s.

Just wondering what your opinions were on this when it comes to year 6?

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We've had Y6 on the carpet. Use what works for you. Currently one of our younger classes does not sit on the carpet as they can't behave so they stay at tables.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I don't agree with year 6 sitting on the carpet.

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I don't keep my Y2 on the carpet for long- it must be so uncomfortable sitting cross legged for more than 10 minutes!

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

The only time ours sit on the carpet is when all of our classes are gathered in one room for an important chat or something similar and we've run out of chairs!

lindenlea likes this.
  6. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

Mine sit on the carpet. They tend to choose to come and sit there, since they can't see the whiteboard well from their seats and they seem to quite like it. (It was odd for them to begin with, though, it's not a done thing at my current school...no carpet spaces in KS2 at all.)
    I also make them sit on the carpet if they've misbehaved. They spend their time out there.

My old classroom had lots more carpet space and it was quite normal for my Y6s to sit on the carpet. We had room for the whole class and used to do 'story time' there at the end of the day. They'd get some pillows and cushions and just chill for a few minutes.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have my tables in a horseshoe shape with plenty of space in the middle for carpet sitting. I have a few who like to come and sit on the carpet but the majority remain in their chairs

8. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I can't stand carpets. All that fidgeting, poking, hairdressing, and fussing moving to and from it (Y3)

I find I get much, much more out of them sitting at desks, in rows, everything they need in trays.

Just my opinion!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I used to work in a middle school where the expectation was all classes would have and use a 'carpet area'. Since this was for years 5-8, I found it really odd to be questioned when I moved to primary and had my mixed year 5/6 on the carpet.

I like that you and your year team colleague are allowed to teach your classes in the way that best suits you and them. She prefers carpet and you prefer tables. In some schools one or other of you would be criticised and made to do it the other way.

10. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

My own children would hate it. Sure they might sit there if that was the only place they could see the board from but what kind of silly arrangement for a classroom is that, particularly for year 6.

This is what happens on the carpet:

- others get too close and you are disturbed by them humming or whispering but it is too quiet for the teacher to notice

- girls have undetectable squabbles about who can sit where

- you have to try very hard to get your skirt or dress in the right place while cross legged so the teacher can't see you knickers

- other kids tread on your hands, sonetimes even the teacher does too

- you get other people's feet and knees in your back

- the buckles of your shoes dig in when you are made to sit cross legged

- you can't write properly although less than one year from now you will be copying material from the board or taking notes of what the teacher says at secondary school while sitting at a table for two and the teacher will expect you to do this quickly and accurately

- the teacher thinks he/she has everyone's attention because they are staring into his / her eyes because if they look left or right they will some other child's earwax, but really you are thinking how uncomfortable and silly the whole experience is and if the teacher thinks sitting on the itchy carpet is so cool why don't they do it themselves

minnie me, lardylady and whitestag like this.
  11. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

If you're lucky enough to have the space, I would let it be child-led. They sit in a space where they are comfortable and they are most able to focus on the learning taking place. At the beginning of the academic year, we have a chat about how we want to use the classroom space, and we will re-visit it periodically during the year. I currently have a large carpet area where learners can sit (or lie, to work on clip boards if they fancy), we have small cushions around low tables, bean bags, regular tables and chairs, and higher stools for those that prefer that. I encourage them to take responsibility for selecting the learning space that will be most effective for them. If they then find it hard to focus in the space they selected, I discuss this with the individual. That's only do-able when you have the luxury of space though :)

12. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

When I taught Year 6 I didn't have carpet time, unless it was something specific I was teaching that required it - Science was one example when we were doing light/dark and turning the lights off. I think that's the way I prefer to teach KS2, though. I taught Year 4 with no carpet space because they were a nightmare with transitions and we wasted so much time (I was an NQT). No comment was ever made about lack of carpet space at that age.

13. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Not necessarily. A colleague and I sat cross legged on the carpet for our weekly planning meeting (1 hour) last week and found it quite comfortable.

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Whereas if I sat on the carpet you would need a hoist to get me up again!

15. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

And if I sat on the carpet cross-legged for longer than 10 minutes both feet would get pins and needles due to my poor circulation!

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

17. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Really? I couldn't last more than 5 minutes!!

18. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We had a planetarium in school a while back. All children up to year 8 and their accompanying teachers sat in the floor for an hour...and the presenter did for most for the day.

If it works for you and your class then go for it. If it doesn't then don't.
    Don't feel guilty or put upon either way.